Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no? >

Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Notices
View Poll Results: Synthetic oil or not?
Yes I use synthetic oil
65.72%
No I do not use synthetic oil
30.57%
Hell, I don't even know where the oil cap is
3.71%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Old 02-17-2003, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I have personally witnessed high-mile (over 120k) car engines begin leaking from crank seals after being switched over to synthetic from conventionals. The general consensus as to the mechanics of this issue is that the detergent package used in synthetics has one additional ingredient that is typically not compatible with the conventional bases. This ingredient is extremely effective in breaking down the sludge or parrafin that accumulates in engines over time (ever pulled a valve cover off an old station wagon?). High mile motors that have endured longer than average oil change intervals usually have a significant buildup in them. In addition to buildup around the rockers and in the lifter valley, there sometimes exists a substantial amount of hardened sludge IN the rubber seals in the motor (crank seals). As the sludge originally accumulated, it prevented the lubrication and cooling of the lip of the seal itself which burns the lip off the seal. The reason the seal never leaked is because the sludge itself became the sealing surface. Over a couple of weeks running the synthetic oil, the sludge is dissolved out of the old seals and - PRESTO - they leak.

Just passing info to others in case they do the above, get the leak, and can't figure out why.

Also, has anybody ever seen a sludged up motor that was running synthetics? I haven't but I wonder if syn lube is more resistant to sludge or not...
Old 02-17-2003, 10:39 AM
sroker

I concur.....Royal Purple

Old 02-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobile One Synth
Old 02-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Registered

Default ?????

Originally posted by East Coast B
I have read several articles on this topic...... synthetic is great stuff.... BUT..... The bottom lilne is that it shouldn't be used in engines that sits between uses.... They said that regular oil adheres better over a long period of time.... This seemed to be the general theme in several articles that I have read..... I am from the school of changing oil more often using the regular oil....
I find this surprising...........I've pulled apart a few engines that have run synthetic oil & have sat around for a few months or so. That chit is everywhere, on everything, & is still slick. It even seems like a chore to take the socket off of the ratchet when you get it on your hands from working with the parts !

Just kinda surprised

Old 02-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Drive Oil

The Merc mechanic who just rebuilt my Bravo 1's told me not to use synthetic because the clutch would slip.

Is that true?
Old 02-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Registered

NO

merc hi perf oil is synthetic...
Old 02-17-2003, 03:37 PM
bobby daniels

PETE __

BEYOND ANY,,,ANY DOBT NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't even tell us would did your drive !!!!!!

If its a Bravo its clutchs don't work that way

Last edited by bobby daniels; 02-17-2003 at 03:51 PM.

Old 02-17-2003, 03:45 PM
bobby daniels

Originally posted by mcollinstn
I have personally witnessed high-mile (over 120k) car engines begin leaking from crank seals after being switched over to synthetic from conventionals. The general consensus as to the mechanics of this issue is that the detergent package used in synthetics has one additional ingredient that is typically not compatible with the conventional bases. This ingredient is extremely effective in breaking down the sludge or parrafin that accumulates in engines over time (ever pulled a valve cover off an old station wagon?). High mile motors that have endured longer than average oil change intervals usually have a significant buildup in them. In addition to buildup around the rockers and in the lifter valley, there sometimes exists a substantial amount of hardened sludge IN the rubber seals in the motor (crank seals). As the sludge originally accumulated, it prevented the lubrication and cooling of the lip of the seal itself which burns the lip off the seal. The reason the seal never leaked is because the sludge itself became the sealing surface. Over a couple of weeks running the synthetic oil, the sludge is dissolved out of the old seals and - PRESTO - they leak.

Just passing info to others in case they do the above, get the leak, and can't figure out why.

Also, has anybody ever seen a sludged up motor that was running synthetics? I haven't but I wonder if syn lube is more resistant to sludge or not...
--------------------------------&&&&&-------------------------------------------

They syn are almost sludge proof they hold dirt and matter insuspension longer than regular oil ,
Also if you add it to a high milage motor your right aleak could devlope a leak just keep driving and it will stop as soon as the syn.deposits build back up,,some even burn oil for awhile

Also its fine to break in a motor on syn. it takes longer for the rings to seal due to the anti wear of the syn...----------------------

Last edited by bobby daniels; 02-17-2003 at 03:49 PM.

Old 02-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Registered

use the merc hi perf stuff.

i have heard of some oil/additives resulting in some adverse clutch issues...what oil or what issues i am not exactly for sure.

i would only feel comfortable recommending the merc and royal purple oils due to (personal)extensive lab testing...we've also done our fair share of real world testing in various race environments.

don't fool yourself...if it looks, smells, or feels ANY DIFFERENT what-so-ever from new......it HAS been compromised.....CHANGE it even if it is synthetic!
Old 02-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Joey and Bobby,

Thanks for the info. Now I'm a bit worried. I hope the guy at least knows how to do a rebuild!

Guess I'll find out soon.

Quick Reply: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.