Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no? >

Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Notices
View Poll Results: Synthetic oil or not?
Yes I use synthetic oil
65.72%
No I do not use synthetic oil
30.57%
Hell, I don't even know where the oil cap is
3.71%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Old 02-14-2003, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Just wondering who uses synthetic oil in their engines? If so, who has got the best one out there?
Old 02-14-2003, 04:33 PM
VIP Member

Hey G

I use Castrol Racing straight 40 weight. I change it every 25 hours and you know how hard I run mine. I don't think synthetic is worth the expense and you don't run your stuff that hard. If you want the Castrol I can hook you up at a good price. Catch ya later.

Dave

Last edited by Bigwavz; 10-14-2003 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Registered

I have read several articles on this topic...... synthetic is great stuff.... BUT..... The bottom lilne is that it shouldn't be used in engines that sits between uses.... They said that regular oil adheres better over a long period of time.... This seemed to be the general theme in several articles that I have read..... I am from the school of changing oil more often using the regular oil....
Old 02-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Registered

i dont use .
Old 02-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil all the way.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I use Mobile synthetic every 10 hours, thats to keep my warranty up with KE. Then I give that oil to my guys so they can put it in our shop trucks.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:27 PM
bobby daniels

Originally posted by JASSMAN
I use Mobile synthetic every 10 hours, thats to keep my warranty up with KE. Then I give that oil to my guys so they can put it in our shop trucks.
I use amsoil in the motors and redline in the drives ,,,, If KEITH E.
uses syn, and chevy in their pride and joy corvette and dodge in their viper we should all use it for performance boating ,,,,,its along way ahead of conv. syn.all the way,

Old 02-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Registered

Redline Race oil changed every 25 hours (14qts each motor).
Also run pre-lubers before each start.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

FYI,

This is what I have heard repeatedly over the years:

Most "racing" oil is lacking in many of the additives and detergents that are useful in prolonging an oil's "shelf life" in an engine. A racing application is usually one in which the oil runs one race weekend and is then changed (even cheap racers change oil every weekend). Racing oil is formulated to holdup "better" to concentrated heat and pinpoint loads. Shear strength and film strength are of a very high priority. You will also not see multi-vis racing oil cause a race engine is always properly brought up to temperature before it is run hard.

Blowby contaminates the oil, and racing oil lacks the stuff (emulsifiers and such) to keep the blowby contaminates in suspension for a long time like streetcar oil.

I have heard that it is ill-advised to use racing oil in a non-racing application. That was twenty five years ago and maybe even racing oils are not lacking in the additives now?

Thoughts?

Also, as far as lube change intervals, Catman. Even "regular" oils don't wear out. They get contaminated with combustion byproducts and blowby. They also break down and get metal and bearing particulates in suspension. Changeout intervals are designed to get the crap out of the oilpan more so than to time the wearing out of an oil.

I highly recommend to everybody to send an oil sample off for analysis if you are using a longer than recommended oil change interval (the engine mfr's interval, not the oil mfrs interval). Any diesel engine dealer will have the oil kit to send it off. That way you can feel good or bad depending on the results...

I like synthetics.
I usually run Mercruiser oil in my boat. Rotella in my diesels. Bike-specific synthetics in my bikes, el-cheapo TCWIII 2-stroke oil in my jetskis, Merc hi-perf 2-stroke in my outboards. Mobil 1 in my cars, and castor-less synthetic 2-stroke oil in my dirtbikes.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1 before every race and after every race.

Quick Reply: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.