Teen pop band O-Town putting a Donzi in offshore powerboat racing >

Teen pop band O-Town putting a Donzi in offshore powerboat racing

Notices

Teen pop band O-Town putting a Donzi in offshore powerboat racing

Old 02-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that racing a boat on some waters will beat the crap out of you. But I feel it's a sport that is nothing but rich people out having fun. But please don't get me wrong. I love it. You can't compare a Super Bowl Champion Football player or a Barry Bonds ball player to a throttleman.

I bet you can put your average speedboat owner out there in a raceboat and he would do any boat justice in a race. Providing he has B@lls. which most of us speedboat owners do have, we just lack the rich pockets. Once again i'm not bad mouthing this sport.
I just feel it's in a league of it's own. You have no real comparison. Getting someone to see a guy who sits and steers a boat for a few laps to a NFL,NBA, or NHL player to think he is a true athalete is going to be a very hard sell on the average guy who watches sports.

Ahhhhhh you gotta love America! I wonder if the people in Iraq are talking speed boats right now?
Old 02-18-2003, 05:14 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Donzi 1
Just $.02 from an off-shore boat racing fan. I do not feel that rock bands or even famous celebs is what APBA needs to get fans and races back on the schedule. I can remember when Chuck Norris and Don Johnson ran boats for a year. Most of the time, because of their security entourage, you couldn't get close to them anyway. Did they bring fans to the races? Sure! Were they in the sport for more than a year? Nope!

Second, since I'm not a racer, I never have understood this one, but why do we need 2 or even 3 sanctioning bodies? Get everyone back together! Sit down, put your egos in your pockets, and develop classes that can fit everyone’s needs including the beginner. All under 1 sanctioning body! Maybe this is easier said than done, but is anyone even trying?

The problem is not that the sport needs celebs, the problem is the sport needs to unite and bring the racing back to the fans who support it.

Quick history lesson here was Don Johnson an *******? Yes! But he did more to bring offshore to the common folk than anyone else. Miami Vice bought go fast boats into everyones living room for 20 years now. He was in the sport for more than 1 year. Raced the Gentry V boat. Than moved up to Team USA #50 cat. Set a one lap record in it. Albeit he never finished more than 1 lap He had Kurt Russel race with him. And Goldie Hawn would come to the races. I don't remember getting around the wet pits that much worse. Seems like they would hang out at the end of the dock in a yacht. Mostly the Gentry Eagle. Don't sell Chuck Norris short he was there to win and I think remembering Bruce Jenner being around for awhile. Didn't Norris and Ronald Reagans son set a record going down the Miss. river or something. Johnson started the OPT with John which is now the SBI. But the races back in those days could not compare to todays races. BIG horsepower, BIG wallets, and wild rides. Everyone tried to build a better mouse trap. Big power Apaches, Buzzi deisels, Gentry's turbos, Lambergienee(sp) motors. So any free publicity to the sport can't hurt. That's why John got Prestly in the boat. Luckily they didn't kill anybody. I saw the crash at the OSO party and it was a joke if they don't take blame for it. Ray Charles could see that. But anything to get media attention to the sport is a good thing. Good luck this year Joey

Pete
Old 02-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

donzi1...no disrespect taken at all!!!rather that try to tell ya.....you pick a race a i'll make sure you and your family has pit passes for the weekend! ps...the concert was after the races/after dark....

i understand about being beat up....in 01 i had a helmet bust apart in my face...the windscreen went through my nose in two places and broke my nose....i lost so much blood it was in the carbs!...yes we finished the race very respectably. this isn't my first or second go-round in a professional arena. trust me i (as well as my family)understand what it takes....better yet what it takes from you!

"I bet you can put your average speedboat owner out there in a raceboat and he would do any boat justice in a race. Providing he has B@lls. which most of us speedboat owners do have, we just lack the rich pockets. ".........this is about the dumbest thing i've heard!....racing HAS NOTHING to do with balls!!...the only thing big balls and a fast boat will get you is....HURT!....so i guess everyone racing is a below average speedboat owner in your eyes????

"some people think they wana go fast,,,,but they really don't".....joey dunlop
Old 02-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We are trying to get this sport to grow. In football you sit in a stadium and watch the game, Nascar you sit in a grandstand and watch the race. NHL you sit in a seat and watch a game. Offshore racing you stand on a beach, or on a bridge and try to watch boats race a mile or 2 away from you. The average spectator is so far away from the actual races they don't get the feel of it. Oh and some of these races offer limited viewing areas and not to mention the advertising for an upcoming race is limited as well. I have already been in a situation where I booked a Hotel only to have the race moved to another site.

I overheard a spectator at the Marathon race last year say" I would enjoy this race, if I knew what was going on?" He than went on to say that a speaker should call these races so the viewing public has an idea what has happened or what is about to happen.

As a Joe average speedboat owner, I have been in and driven several boats from Skater to Hustler. This is far from a complicated sport.

OK! to restate my issue I still feel like it takes b@alls to open a throttle, but it's the education and experience to have some control and knowledge as to when to back off. Injury comes with anything besides sitting on your butt in a lazy boy.

And if anyone has tix to races I'll be there I take a Large T-shirt.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:33 PM
Registered

I do agree that the APBA needs to make the racing easier for the fan to figure out...well, even the racer for that matter....but i do know they made constant improvements throughout last season in this area.

"This is far from a complicated sport. OK! to restate my issue I still feel like it takes b@alls to open a throttle, but it's the education and experience to have some control and knowledge as to when to back off.".......that's ok if you don't understand....

maybe i'm just real dumb....all the time and $$$$ we spend testing seems wasted now...if you could please emial me the answers on how to win races and championships,,,make sure they are very,un-complicated, for me...
Old 02-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

if you could please emial me the answers on how to win races and championships,,,make sure they are very,un-complicated, for me...

"Thats easy dude! Just buy a Fountain!
Just kidding! But serious a friend of mine was looking through a magazine ad here and he said "Damn what class didn't they win?"

maybe it's just the snow in my head here After I drove a Nascar at Pocono I didn't see what was so great about that either, YEA YEA I know add 45 more cars at 185 mph and see what happens. honestly the hardest thing I ever tried was a dragster school. NOW THAT WAS IMPRESSIVE you do more than just steer all in a 1/4 mile.

But hey if you ever need a second opinion on anything about your boat just leave the key's under the door mat!

You do know I'm just messing with ya? Right?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Registered

Donzi 1, you stated that there are no offshore races on a national level on Lake Erie........are you forgetting about the APBA Cleveland race???
Old 02-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Registered

cleveland is no longer.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Registered

http://www.silvercupseries.com/
Old 02-19-2003, 07:40 AM
Registered

WHAT?? NO MORE RACES IN CLEVELAND?? WTF??

Quick Reply: Teen pop band O-Town putting a Donzi in offshore powerboat racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.