Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
APBA single engine program for Super Cat?? >

APBA single engine program for Super Cat??

Notices

APBA single engine program for Super Cat??

Old 02-18-2003, 04:12 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: well ..............uh

Originally posted by PWRBOATTOURS
Well we could go back to 1999 and watch Drambuie run by themselves. Now that was racing ! CRE made racers earn their titles with talent & set up, not who has the most money - just my .o2 - BH
I beg to differ....................CRE made racers pay a premium for rebuilds, "fees" and shipping, and replaced good, competent, inspections at race sites. In actuality it was the "Spec" rules that made the competition better in those classes where they were applied....albeit with some prejudicial advantages for LLC member/racers.

Listen, I'm an APBA guy who hates to see any racer get caught up in financial "spin". Both organizations, APBA and SBI, have become too adept at the rationalization of lining their own pockets. I have repeatedly stated that the current focus of "persuading" the racer to buy sponsor/vendors products is flawed......and represents, at the very least, the potential for conflict of interest........ and I am not even touching the current APBA membership fee "controversy". Further, the small, quality builder is discouraged financially from exhibiting and competing with his product against the corporate pencil pushers. This , to me, is "dumbing down" the sport............

The sad fact is that names like the original Apache, Shadow, Cougar, Magnum, and many others would not pass today's litmus test of corporate "suitability"......... and if you believe that "brands" like Formula and Donzi have anything to do with their original racing heritage, I've got a bridge to sell you....no knock on them....but, they ain't Skater....nor Kryptonite for that matter.

The point of this rave? Caveat Emptor........... Let the racer beware.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 02-18-2003 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, you might as well do away with SC and just have SCLT if you're going this far.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:31 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

One more thing........... stop dreaming and learn racing's oldest rule......Real talent wins.

Give JT, Jerry or Joey identical boats to Joe Racer.......and they'll win. Switch boats.......they'll still win.

Parity makes the boats equal........ talent, experience and preparation will always cross the finish line first.

T2x
Old 02-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default facts.......

Rich:

I know you've raced and have in depth knowledge about offshore racing and boats , but I've competed and wrote checks before and after CRE. My West Coast F1 Boat was 509'd from the factory with an additional charge of $ 7500.00. I was a rookie and had no idea what 509 was. Is 509'd cheaper than having CRE dyno the brand new motor and seal it? NO - was Moss the inspector in 1999 better than Abreau - Innovation (waiting on the dock with timing light in hand after the race) and General Motors? Rules were a joke before CRE and I lived it first hand. By the way I was watching the APBA Offshore Worlds 1999 Tape the other night and relived " The Christine" comment, funny as hell - BH
Old 02-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Red face talent?

Real talent? Put the racers you mentioned up against Randy w/ Typhoon - BJ w/ Activator - myself or any of the Warlock F1 Teams and you'll see talent! BH
Old 02-18-2003, 05:31 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Default Re: facts.......

Rich:

By the way I was watching the APBA Offshore Worlds 1999 Tape the other night and relived " The Christine" comment, funny as hell - BH
My favorite quote..........

Many years ago ......."BL"........Before LLC....I covered a race in Key West. There was a black race boat with 3 guys aboard speeding up, slowing down, hooking, diving, pounding, and generally not doing very well. As this continued, the trio on board were gesturing wildly, pointing in opposite directions, and looking up, down and all around.

My summation.........."One wants to go left!..........One wants to go right!....And one wants to go home!".........

The producer/ cameraman and the pilot went into hysterics in the helicopter and the laughter didn't subside for 15 minutes......While all this was going on I had to narrate the race like the world was for real....The viewer never knew that anything was amiss.....or things are not always what they seem.

The point.......... We have had bad inspections for years...no blame just fact. BUT!.......If the Stock outboard and Inboard divisions can have equal and, in most cases, fair inspections...... why, in heaven's name, does Offshore need an "official" (for hire) engine equalizer company........ when objective rules enforcement is all that is needed? What makes CRE any more honest or effective than an inspector?....The fee? That concept is so patently ridiculous, no sane human being can defend it.

Years ago OPC tunnel racers used to draw straws for leased powerheads out of the Mercury truck. The problem.......? Who got the good one?...and who didn't? Because even when made or tested in the same shop, by the same guys......there are always differences........ That's why there are warrantys for pleasure engines. On the other hand, if Sterling, Mercruiser, Vortec/Innovation/CRE all build competitive "spec" engines, then it's in everyone's best interest that they run right....... and if one gains a repetitive advantage, that's when officiating and weight penalties take over. It works on the Prop Tour...... and in Super Cat..... Why not in Factory 1 and 2 ?

I heard all the screaming and whining when Benny got caught with a non spec timing setting on an F-2 boat. All these hystrionics did was give the LLC an excuse to charge for a service their own officials should have performed as part of the services offered for their ......."customer/racers".......(and boy doesn't that title alone make your skin crawl?)

Well, all you "Customer-Racers" out there............ Enjoy your business plan.....and the complimentary golf shirts...with the invisable ink "kick me" sign on the back.

T2x..........obsolete....dammit!

P.S. That black race boat later wound up stuck in a sportfisherman in a fatal accident on the Intracoastal after some late night "testing"............

Last edited by T2x; 02-18-2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:43 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Default Re: talent?

Real talent? Put the racers you mentioned up against Randy w/ Typhoon - BJ w/ Activator - myself or any of the Warlock F1 Teams and you'll see talent! BH

................................. Let's see, Joey won the Parker 9 hour enduro in a semi tunnel and can thread a needle with a 21 foot O/B blindfolded. JT was World Champ in UIM class 1, Modified and Open class and also drove champ boats. Jerry was a GN champion, tech guru for Sirois/ Copeland's 8 powerhead outboard/inboard gilmer belted world record setting Open boat........not to mention the best setup guy on the planet.

Yeah, you guys are right there!...... I especially like the humility.

Seriously, There is no doubting you guys have potential.....The fact is the other guys have already realized (and proven) theirs

T2x
Old 02-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell it t2x the truth is now spoken iv'e been wating for you to unload on this subject for years thank you robbie
Old 02-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thumbs up nice friendly debate

Rich - I do thank you for debating this topic with me like a gentleman. I still stand by the fact that our modern APBA Offshore Racers are spending less money, receiving bigger purses and competiting on a level playing field. The facts are that many race teams are joining APBA Offshore in 2003 that have previously raced in other series , it's all over this board. I support APBA Offshore and those that don't can go play in somebody else's sand box - Brian Hollis
Old 02-18-2003, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

As long as we all have equal equipment I dont mind spending a little extra money inforceing it. I dont think its right if they are lineing there pockets but there is no proof they are. I cant imagine what it must cost to put on a good race. I like factory rules and think they try to keep them as fair as possable so the talant does win races.
I cant think of one rule they have changed in the last 5 years that has not been for the better of factory racing. Its all about being equal on the water.
Randy

Quick Reply: APBA single engine program for Super Cat??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.