Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
APBA single engine program for Super Cat?? >

APBA single engine program for Super Cat??

Notices

APBA single engine program for Super Cat??

Old 02-21-2003, 08:56 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: hmmmmmm just some facts

Originally posted by PWRBOATTOURS
Rich ................ Oh yea , I was watching some old footage some time ago when you were the announcer - hysterical stuff. I almost pissed in my pants. You were a riot as a newbe. Thank the Lord that no one was watching the shows then or we might have been permanently banned from appearing on National Television -HAHAHAHA - Just kdding Rich- Brian Hollis
Now you've got my attention......... I was a "newbie" on TV in 1982......... What races were you watching?

T2x
Old 02-21-2003, 09:33 AM
wayne

Alot of you guys here are comparing offshore racing to baseball , baseball has a salary cap , and I think thats what the apba is trying to do . As we all know, he with the most money usally wins , and I think they are trying to stop . Even know its a rich mans sport , if you remember before supercat 3 yrs ago there was only 3-4 boats racing on a good day , now we see usally 5 -10 boats at a race .

Old 02-21-2003, 10:45 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Some time ago, I thought that SCL ( I think it was Factory 4 back then)was a great concept...and still do...... as a developmental vehicle. The question is can it carry a sport as a featured class?

I don't know the answer to that...........

The problem is in the comparison to "civilian" alternatives. In Nascar, while the family sedan can't do 200 mph on the open road, Jeff Gordon can at Daytona. In powerboat racing, while SCL can't do 110 on the race course, whole bunches of pleasure boaters can do it all day long on the bays, rivers, lakes and oceans of the U.S.

From a TV perspective, boats look slower on video than real life....and speed sells. As great as the programs may look to the racer (who sits glued to the tube with his friends and family hoping to see himself).....It's the uninvolved couch potato you're after.......and not your cousin or brother-in-law.

From a racer's perspective TV costs money and seems to do nothing for you.......... but it is the only thing sponsors care about.

If Super Vortec (fill in the boat manufacturer here) Cat is going to capture the hearts and minds of the U.S. viewer........ That will finally explain to me how Hillary Clinton got elected to the Senate from NY.

T2x
Old 02-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with T2x and Tomcat. Although I'm not a racer so don't anyone pummel me.
I think it is great to see different engine companies. I'm a spectator and think the Mercury (will never have one in my boat,too overpriced) GM Vortec (Don't drive a GM) thing is definitley boring and I don't relate to it. Seeing the premere class "supercat" running only 110 is kind of lame , when I can go out on the lake or to a poker run and see pleasure boats go that fast.
To me it just seems like corporate money making BS.
But hey I'm just a spectator what do I know... know one needs us when Merc and GM are dumping money into the sport.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:39 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Default Re: like I said........

Originally posted by PWRBOATTOURS
Rich:

Like I said we could go on and on here on this subject. The FACTS are :

1. Attendance is up in APBA Offshore.(fans and racing members)

2. The TV Shows are better than they have ever been.

3. CRE and SPEC Racing is attracting new and veteran racers.(just look at SVL Twin)

4. Prize purses are up tremendously.

5. APBA Offshore put us back in Key West.

As for what was I watching back in 1982 - Dukes of Hazard - what else? That Pfaff motor ran great in that car! BH

Brian:

I love ya...........Freedom of thought................. That's why they make Vanilla and Chocolate.

When all is said and done..... One man's facts are another man's Koolaid.

For the record Offshore racing was most successful during the years 1984-88 and actually appeared on ABC network TV............ This was right before the debut of OPT/SBR/SBI....an occurence from which the sport has not recovered to this day. Fleets of over 125 boats were common place.....and Open Class averaged 20-40 boats.

APBA entrys have actually slipped since the end of Gene Whipp's reign.

I'll reserve my comments on the TV as it could represent a perceived personal conflict of interest....suffice it to say that network ratings and production values speak for themselves.

"Spec" racing, as originally designed, attract-ED racers. Factory 2 and Super Cat boat populations are both down significantly since the inaugural (pre CRE) year. CRE, of and by itself, hasn't attracted squat.

Prize purses have been paid on a spotty and inadequate basis for 15 years...... If it's better..... God Bless... If it's not..... admit cash is tight.

APBA was "put back in Key West" ( a location where it has raced off and on since the 60's) by Don Jones and Gene Whipp....... Then it went away again....now it is back.....It's sort of a Yo-Yo phenomenon.

Final point..... then I'm done.......... From my perch, offshore has not "arrived" and is in no better shape than it was during the "HFC Series" 15+ years ago. It is however "new" to a lot of participants, who, through no fault of their own, have no basis for comparison. The single difference in this era is the pell mell charge into corporate allegiance.......... for better or for worse, and the eagerness to embrace the "spin of success". History will prove me right....or wrong. But, at the very least, I serve the purpose of presenting counterpoints........without an agenda other than to prevent the re-invention of the wheel and the acceptance of mediocrity. Like a weary Red Sox fan, I haven't seen a winner yet.....but I sure as hell will recognize one when it comes along.

Nuff said.

T2x........

The above are only opinions and do not necessarily constitute anything of value.

Last edited by T2x; 02-21-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Kent Perroux

1) No Supercat financier has addressed their thoughts on here(Spending too much time making money so they can afford to race.

2) NASCAR allows different engine builders with tight specs because they have a large team of techs to verify after the races. (Anyone know what the entrance fee is to race NASCAR? I wonder if is it more expensive that Offshore.

3) If you want to watch an open class PX (or SBI) is it. (or has anyone seen the Bacardi boat?)

4) The people I see complaining about a single builder here are not registered racers. The registered racers that have put their inpu into this thread seam to have a positive opinion to the strategy.

Old 02-21-2003, 11:43 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Kent:

Tomcat46 is a new Supercat owner racer.

T2x
Old 02-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Kent Perroux

Thanks T2x.

I feel it is better place the primary stakeholders interest in a higher regard than most of us sideliners'.

Congrats on the new boat Tomcat46 and good luck. I agree it is great to have competition between the brands. Although, I have also seen the other side of the teching nightmares. If you follow the rules 100%, there will always be someone else not.

Would love to hear other Supercat owners thoughts..

Kent

Old 02-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Kent Perroux
Congrats on the new boat Tomcat46 and good luck. I agree it is great to have competition between the brands. Although, I have also seen the other side of the teching nightmares. If you follow the rules 100%, there will always be someone else not.
Kent
That is why we built the One Design Class.

I think it would help the sport grow if the teams were larger or paired together. ie. Tommy Bahama went to an F2, SCL and maybe even a One Design team and said... lets make all these the Tommy Bahama boats, and for now we will just cover your paint, but if it helps land a huge sponsorship deal, we will all prosper. Just an Idea, any thoughts?
Old 02-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Registered

Default I ref to.....

After racing this class, I am in favor of single engine supplier, todays economy is killing everyone. If cost can be kept in and engines supplied that are all alike, from performance and reliablity. it will extend to close racing. Dont think for one minute I like trading paint. Yes a tweaking in the rules will help too. What ever rules are made, you have to try them. Nascar drivers hate new rules too, but live with them.

Safe Racing! Tres

Quick Reply: APBA single engine program for Super Cat??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.