Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Digital Cameras (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43546-digital-cameras.html)

F34PC 02-17-2003 02:23 PM

Digital Cameras

I am in the market for a new digi-cam. Can anyone suggest a good website for info and the best place $ to get one.

Audiofn 02-17-2003 02:26 PM

I think that one of the best bang for the buck digitals are the Olympus. If money is no object then the new Nikons are UNREAL!!!! :D:D

Jon

THEJOKER 02-17-2003 02:55 PM

can i jump on this thread? haha

Funny you asked - I am going to buy one this week. At the dealership we use one with a 3.5 disc and it's simple. Is the 3.5 disc the way to go? Somebody said there was not enough pixels- WHATEVER? haha- I do not want to have to plug in and it would be nice to just hand somebody a disc with pictures. BH

CigDaze 02-17-2003 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Audiofn
I think that one of the best bang for the buck digitals are the Olympus. If money is no object then the new Nikons are UNREAL!!!! :D:D

Jon

I'll second the Olympus...you simply can't beat the amount of features at their prices. You'll find very few with optical zooms and all the other capabilities for under 400 bucks!

Smartmedia is the way to go these days...It's easy to come by and is becoming more and more popular. Sure, the 3.5" floppy cameras are convenient, but they draw more power to read and write and you have to carry around a big stack of disks. I can easily fit 500 medium res pics on my 64M smartmedia card and something like 100 high-res images.

Audiofn 02-17-2003 03:05 PM

Brian I think that everything is now going to the memeory sticks and memory cards. They are MUCH faster that way. Also you can now drop the memory cards directly into the printer and print up pictures. It is kind of cool. You can also get readers for your cards and they are actually fairly cheap. Then transfer them onto Disc for something like a boat sale if you take the time to learn the software I bet you could put on a awsome slide show with music and it would be REAL cool and EVERYONE had a cd player on their computer. :D:D Oh ya what is a floppy disc? I have heard of them but never seen one. Was that back from when you used to write with a hammer and chissle :D:D

Jon

Vyper340 02-17-2003 03:19 PM

Go with the Sony DSC-P9. It's 4 megapixel and takes great pics. A bonus is that it fits in your shorts pocket and is fully self contained.

I would look on eBay and www.pricegrabber.com for best prices.

Donzi38ZX 02-17-2003 03:23 PM

It really depends on what you are going to use it for and of course how much you want to spend. A 4 or 5 megapixel camera will do you no good if you just want a means to post pics on the internet. Also an 8x10 printed from a 1 megapixel camera will look like @#$@. Give us your wants and a budget and you will get better advice.

gdfatha 02-17-2003 03:28 PM

From Webster

Main Entry: floppy disk
Function: noun
Date: 1972
: a small flexible plastic disk coated with magnetic material on which data for a computer can be stored

Note the date...

I have a Olympus C-2100 and get 257 (HQ) 1600x1200 photos..It also has a 10X OPTICAL zoom and gets about 70 photos per set of 4AA batteries.

The 257 drops down to 97 when shooting at 2.1 megapixels..

Current cost abput $ 600 I paid $999.95 1 1/2 years ago..

Sea Ya 02-17-2003 03:34 PM

Nikon Cool Pix

THEJOKER 02-17-2003 03:39 PM

REDNECK.......computer illiterate

Remember I'm from Georgia guys. Seriously the reason I like the 3.5 disc is because I can swap them around easy. I can give them to customers , family etc. The one I use also conforms with OSO's size standards - which is more important that printing any 8x10! I posted the picture of the Cigarette sign with the 3.5 gimmick and it is clear? Am I wrong? BH