how do I remove DPX HP props?

Notices

how do I remove DPX HP props?

Old 02-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Tom
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I remove DPX HP props?

Anybody know if I need special tools and the procedure? I need to take my props off to send them to Hill Propeller
Old 02-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Registered

You don't need any special tools, just a socket that is narrow enoungh to fit inside the prop.
You first need to take off the nose cone which you can do by using a large screw driver and turn the cone counter clockwise. You will need to use a block of wood between the prop and the drive to hold the propellers while you turn the nuts to get the propellers off.
Once you get the cone off you will see what needs to be done.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Tom
Registered

Originally posted by Quest for Speed
You don't need any special tools, just a socket that is narrow enoungh to fit inside the prop.
Thanks for the advice. Once I get it finished we can meet at Dana Point if you want a ride.

Tom
Old 02-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Ummm.......

DPX's don't have a nose cone (or a tail cone) like the old "classic" Volvo drives. You can remove the rear prop by first loosening the center locking bolt (counterclockwise), then unscrewing the larger retaining nut. The forward prop takes a special socket setup. All of the necessary tools should have been supplied with the drive/boat. If not, any Volvo dealer will have them. If they were properly greased when installed, you should not need a puller.

PS - ALL the nuts are right-hand thread, regardless of which prop they retain. (This is pretty important to remember....)

The wrench set is not exclusive/special for the DPX - it is the same one as used for the popular (and common) DP-S and a number of others. You can use conventional tools for the rear prop, but not the front.

Last edited by C_Spray; 02-20-2003 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:38 PM
Tom
Registered

Default Re: Ummm.......

Originally posted by C_Spray
If not, any Volvo dealer will have them. If they were properly greased when installed, you should not need a puller.
Thanks Chuck. My local Volvo dealer didn't know anything about it today. I sure wish Chris Reindl had sold me my boat, I would have had the tool already. I'll see them tomorrow and either order through them or get one shipped.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:46 AM
Registered

Default Re: Ummm.......

Originally posted by C_Spray
DPX's don't have a nose cone (or a tail cone) like the old "classic" Volvo drives. You can remove the rear prop by first loosening the center locking bolt (counterclockwise), then unscrewing the larger retaining nut. The forward prop takes a special socket setup. All of the necessary tools should have been supplied with the drive/boat. If not, any Volvo dealer will have them. If they were properly greased when installed, you should not need a puller.
yep! you the man! we repair volvo stainless dual props/oh the special wrench cost about 40.00