Notices

New or Used?

Old 02-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New or Used?

If all goes well, my 30 Cobra Cat in the OSO class. will be sold tomorrow afternoon. If you caught my previous thread, I am looking at a new Baja 33 Outlaw. I had to look at new b/c I couldn't sell my boat and so, needed to trade it in. Now, I was able to sell it privately and accordingly, no longer have a trade. B/c of the family, I have to go to a V hull. The Mrs. really likes the Outlaw b/c of its approx. $120,000 price tag for a new boat. I was told another $6,000 and I can extend the warranties another 5 yrs. I am not mechanical. It is far easier for my wife to understand a fixed monthly payment as oppossed to spending thousands to keep it running out of warranty. What would you recommend, for me, based on the above, new or used? If used, any leads would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Registered

i'm with too old if you buy new in 4 years you will have lost a lot. I have seen my friends make this mistake.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's used for me for two reasons. One reason Too Old already mentioned. Other, a used boat in my state has no sales tax. I could buy a 300k boat and not pay one penny in sales tax as long as it's been tagged before. This goes for a boat I bring in from out of state too. That makes a BIG difference to me.

Buck
Old 02-20-2003, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

We all like new, but lets face it, these are hi-perf. machines, things go wrong, by a 1 year old boat, or demo, thats in prestine condition, you should get a better deal and all the bugs will be worked out, good luck
Old 02-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Registered

buying new and dealing with some of these people...WOW!....i would rather have toes cut off!

"BUGS"....yeah....LOL
Old 02-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

You could probably find a late model used boat that is still under warranty. For that kind of money there is a lot to choose from. It only costs $50 to have a warranty transfered.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:17 PM
Registered

Update. The Cobra was, in fact, sold today. Good luck w/ it to Rich Mazzi. I'm a real buyer now. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never buy a new boat. I 've bought 2 used boats and saved many $$$ my buddy took a huge loss for 1 year NO way You can find too many great deals on demo's and 1 year boats You would be surprised how many people go buy a boat with no clue how they are going to keep it up n make make payments so they sell after first year esp once winter comes n they seee it sit . try to find a boat up by me in new your or pa area no salt water and used only a fw months
Old 02-21-2003, 06:06 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Buying new is good because you are able to have the boat built to your specs. If you intend to keep it for a long period of time, it's not a bad way to go since you're happy with what you've bought and you can maintain it well. I bought a new custom boat and am going on my 3rd season with it. It looks and runs just as good as the first day I had it and we're going to keep it for a while. Just make sure it has enough power. We like our boat but are bored with the 496HO already and can't afford a newer engine so we're stuck with it. I won't supercharge it because I don't want the headaches that go along with that. Reliability is important to us.

However, if you're going to dump it in a few years, go used, you'll save a ton of money and there are some great deals out there if you look hard enough. This economic climate is good if you're buying used.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Registered

Thanks Indy, the 33 Outlaw we're looking at has twin 496ho's. They told me mid 70's which, if true, is acceptable after selling a 100 mph cat. What boat do you have and what speeds are you getting? Also, how dependable have those engines been?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.