Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trailer Tires? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43805-trailer-tires.html)

Dock Holiday 02-21-2003 07:35 PM

I am a Goodyear guy all around. Have had good luck on autos, trucks and trailers.

The last two Myco's I have had came with Goodyear's. Total now of around 5000 miles without any trouble. I probably just messed my record up telling you this. We will pulling the boat back from Florida in a couple of weeks.

The key with any tire for anything is to have the right tire. It must be made for the application, and capacity needed. Secondly and as important is tire pressure.

I check all tires before any trip to make sure they are 100 percent on tire pressure and look for any noticable problems before I hit the road. One thing I see a lot is trailers that are not level. If you have to much tongue weight the front tires will be carrying the load. You must have the trailer level so the load is distributed equally.

I have a laser temperature reader that you can just point at anything and get an instant reading on. This is a must when towing something like the 36 for long distances. The first thing I do when we stop somewhere for a break it walk around the truck and trailer and check all the temperatures. In low sunlight all will be about the same. If the sun is bright, the tires on the shaded side will read a little less. If they are all within about fives degrees maximum of each other you are OK. If you have a tire going bad, you will instantly know it. They can and will read as mush as 20 to 30 degrees more. Take it off right then and replace it before it blows. Much easier and much safer.

Year before last we were towing to Miami with a couple of other boats. It was 30 degrees here in North Carolina when we left. We stopped at a truck stop on the South Carolina/Georgia line around 3 o'clock in the morning. I started checking all my tires and they came in around 55 degrees. A buddy asked be to check his and they were all about the same except for the center trailer tire on the port side. It was 100 degrees. He checked the tire pressure and it was way low. Found the hole, plugged it, aired it back up and was back on the road in about twenty minutes. We did not get 15 miles before it blew and was all over my windshield. Never again, if they are hot, they go.

This little device works GREAT, I would recommend it to anyone.

Sorry to be longwinded, but the right tires, set up right seem to work well for me.

Robbie Racer 02-21-2003 07:46 PM

Thanks Shane.

Dock, that's a great idea about the laser temperature reader. I have "felt" the tires with my hand to see if one were hotter than another before but the temperature reader is a much better idea. Thanks, R/R

RLW 02-21-2003 10:54 PM

I bought my last set of "Trailer" tires from Pep Boys. They were Generals and the price was better than the others mentioned. Everyone else wanted $75 to $85 a piece and the Generals were $50. They were true trailer tires, ST rated with the proper load rating.
Correct air pressue is important to longevity.

US1 Fountain 02-21-2003 11:02 PM

Marathons here with no problem. I agree with Mr O. (is that you Mr. Obvious??) :)

h2owarrior 02-21-2003 11:22 PM

Load rating and pressure. If they are both correct, there should be no problems other that typical manuf. defects (if it's man made it will break).

I had a 290 PQ on a triple axle axle trailer with 14 inch "C" rated tires that were on the edge for load rating. Kept the tires fully inflated and blew three in 35,000 miles (marathons). We were never left stranded. Always had a spare that was properly inflated.

New MYCO has 16 inch Goodyear's. Have about 5000 miles on them and are doing fine so far.

obnoxus 02-21-2003 11:53 PM

When I blew my Carlisle I switched all four cuz I didnt want to chance anything,,, the guy said the looked like they melted,, the cap delaminated,,, and the other 3 were not far behind,,, I am very anal about trailer maintenance,,,, but I also tow faster then I should,,, so I thought it was self inflicted until I started hearing about the others with problems,,,, I still tow faster then I should,,, I still take great care of my trailer,,, and my Goodyears are still in one piece !!!!!!!!!!!

Dave M 02-22-2003 06:51 AM

I need to replace my tires this spring. I keep hearing about load ratings. Is it correct to say that with a tandem trailer the load rating should be 1/4 of the weight of my boat? Or the weight of the boat and trailer combined? My boat weighs about 3500 lbs, I have a galvanized tandem trailer, so I estimated my rig weighs about 5000 lbs. What rating should I be looking for?

One more thing, the tires I have now call for a max of 35 PSI. I bought a spare and it calls for 50 PSI. This tire looks a lot better than the ones on the trailer. Are the higher PSI tires better?

jafo 02-22-2003 09:26 AM

obnoxus- It may be possible that you had Carlisles from the 'bad run' of the eventually recalled Carlisles? I do agree, GoodYear are great tires. I just haven't had the problems with Carlisle either.

Dave M- weight of boat fully loaded with fuel and gear, plus trailer, and add 10%. Then divide by four. This gives you a decent safety margin. Run at full inflation as listed on the tire. Make sure the trailer is properly balanced, with proper tonque weight. I've seen people compromise because of their fenders. Not a good decision- get the biggest load range in there that will fit. NO REGRETS!

Just as an example on how critical tire pressure can be-
On a typical corporate jet, a difference of as little as 10% pressure between two tires on the same main landing gear can cause the anti-skid system to either be inoperative or send false skid signals to the computer. Not good at jet landing speeds!
We check tire pressure (nitrogen only in aircraft) prior to every flight.

mama tryed 02-22-2003 06:12 PM

Great Info Guy's!!!

If the225 is to big,, Ialso have 205's and I think 215's but I'm not Positve!! The Marathon ST205/75R15 is a C rating {6 ply}
$60.00 even I'll try to remember, to bring home the G.Y. Book!!
I love the Marathons, myself!!! I have them on my Trl. That Tire is by far ,our best selling Trl. Tire!!

COME ON SPRING :D :D

mama tryed 02-25-2003 05:11 AM

The 205/75R15 has an Overall Dia. of 27.1 The Width is 8.0 The Load Capacity is 1820lbs @ 50lbs

Have a Great Day!!!!!!!