BREAKING NEWS--Explosion in NY

Old 02-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anybody injured?
Old 02-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Registered

Hey BODYSHOT1 ya what you said but about 10 fold!
Old 02-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Fred,

I might just stay down here forever.....

Sunny , 80 , no snow and no smoke !
Old 02-21-2003, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, you ain't right... hope your vaca is going well. call me when you get back
Old 02-21-2003, 12:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim,

1 injury, 1 dead, and 1 unaccounted for.

Last edited by Lucididee; 02-21-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Registered

i've dredged the arthur kill. it's a nasty area. the arthur kill just stinks of chemicals all the time. i have a friend right now dredging the kill van kull.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Registered

My shop is about a mile away, at most from the site and it shook like there was no tommorrow. i looked out side and saw this huge flame laden mushroom cloud. I thought it was a bomb at first, then the phones went dead, coudnt get out on the cell. And then this all started to remind me of the early stages of 911. Pretty unnerving until I found out what happened. What a mess. Now I cant get nuttin done..OH well only one thing to do...

DRINK
Old 02-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

Unhappy Shall we start with a beer or rum??

Old 02-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Registered

Angry hmm... beer or rum???

Hi Kitten...what ever your havin

Im just so aggravated right now..we lost about three days of production because of this Damn event..

Oh Well ....pass me a beer
Old 02-21-2003, 01:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my final update

Staten Island Oil Facility Fire Kills 1
1 hour, 4 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By ELIZABETH LeSURE, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - An explosion rocked an oil storage facility at the edge of Staten Island on Friday, killing one worker and sending black smoke and flames hundreds of feet into the air. Authorities said there were no indications of terrorism.

A man's body was pulled from the water three hours after the fire started about 10 a.m., according to police spokesman Michael O'Looney. Another worker was unaccounted for and a third person suffered third-degree burns and was in critical condition, according to Mayor Michael Bloomberg and hospital officials.

The explosion occurred when a barge containing 100,000 barrels of unleaded gasoline was being offloaded at the 200-acre storage facility, which holds petroleum products including gasoline and heating oil, said Prem Nair, a spokeswoman for ExxonMobil, which owned the facility.

She would not speculate on the cause of the explosion.

At a news conference, Bloomberg said the blaze was contained mainly on the water and on two barges — the one that exploded and then sank, and another nearby barge that caught fire.

"The fire has basically been burning itself out," Bloomberg said. "There is absolutely no evidence and no reason this think at this moment that this is anything other than a tragic accident."

The barge owner, N.Y.-based Bouchard Transportation, said no one was available to comment.

The mayor said the Department of Environmental Protection was monitoring air quality.

The explosion, which could be heard for miles, occurred about 10 a.m. at the edge of Port Mobil Terminal, near the Outerbridge Crossing that links the island to New Jersey.

"For a lot of people, the initial reaction was they thought it was another terrorist attack," said Rep. Vito Fossella (news, bio, voting record), who represents Staten Island, which suffered heavy losses in the Sept. 11 attack.

Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites) spokesman Jim Peters said the agency issued temporary flight restrictions on aircraft, barring them from within two miles of the explosion site and an altitude of 3,000 feet and below.

The Coast Guard was assisting at the scene with about six boats and a helicopter, said Lt. Angela Cooper. Much of the Arthur Kill waterway, the primary entrance for the Port of Newark, was closed to shipping.

The fire sent petroleum futures skyrocketing. Ed Silliere, vice president of risk management at Energy Merchant in New York, said the storage facility was an important one for New York Harbor.

"We can't be losing this quantity at this time," he said. "You have to wait for the dust to settle because we don't know what the damage will be."