Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Kind of an off topic question for those that went to Miami... >

Kind of an off topic question for those that went to Miami...

Notices

Kind of an off topic question for those that went to Miami...

Old 02-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of an off topic question for those that went to Miami...

For those of you that hit the Miami show... did anyone take a look at the new Chris-Craft boats? It seems like the current ownership has really put a lot of effort into product over the past couple of years; when OMC folded, CC was sold to Genmar, which then sold CC to a group of (British?) investors. They've been putting out some beautiful (to me, at least) boats, the new 28' Corsair is f'ing gorgeous!

More pics at: http://www.chriscraft.com/Default.aspx?ID=57

Price-wise, it looks like they're competing with Formula and Cobalt in the big dayboat segment, just wondering if they were in same ballpark, quality-wise. We don't have a dealer here in SE Michigan, so no chance to look at them locally. Being from Michigan, Chris Craft is a great old name and I hope the new owners are living up to the tradition - heck, their old factory is maybe 30 miles from my house...
Old 02-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Registered

Looked at a couple of them at the Cleveland boat show in Jan.. Definitely different from the rest. I personally didn't care for them all that much, but I could see how many will!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Registered

I saw them at the Cleveland show also.... Looking at the front dead on looked pretty cool... Looks like not much spray will get in the boat.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Nice way to keep the Chris Craft name going. Their previous boats (prior owners) were not doing the name justice and they were just fair quality at best. It looks as if this is a company on a mission. If I was in the market for this type of boat, I'd give it serious consideration.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Hmm, do they come with AutoPilot?

I saw them in Miami. My cousins have nice deck cruiser, with a 5.0 and DPX drive. I like them for a runabout.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Registered

My Dad has owned many Chris Crafts over his lifetime so natually we spent a considerable amount of time at their display.
Beautiful boats, quality of hardware and glass work looked excellent. Every model had classic styling. We both agreed they were a bit pricy though for what you got
Old 02-26-2003, 03:13 PM
Registered

a beautiful boat. CC has made a big turn around. the retro styling reminded me of hinckley's picnic boat. very nice looking boats. i'm proud of CC. a bit pricey.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:02 PM
Registered

I agree with ScottB. They look good but the question is can they run good. I have not taken a ride yet but would like to know also.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Registered

Funny how many boaters have a Chris Craft connection somewhere in their past. Had a friend in high school, her dad introduced me to boating on a CC. He's owned a bunch of them through the years and currently has a 41 Amerosport - big old party barge.

As for the ride, I'd be interested to know that well. Their web page lists a 20 degree deadrise; Formula's 280SS has 20 or 21, I imagine the ride and performance would be somewhat similar. Not a boat for playing in the 5 footers, but it would be the ticket to head to the local "party cove" with 8 friends and a few coolers of boat soda!