Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ebay Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/44444-ebay-question.html)

Tantrum 03-01-2003 12:49 PM

Ebay Question

Im looking to bid a few things on ebay this afternoon.
I need to set up an account and wanted to know if anyone has any tips? I saw the earlier paypal warning and just wondering if there is any other things I should be aware of.
What kind of personal information do I have to give them?

packinair 03-01-2003 12:54 PM

I have sold and bid on many many things on e-bay and have used paypal for yeas now and NEVER had a problem or heard first hand of a serious problem....

Dock Holiday 03-01-2003 12:57 PM

I just set up an account last Monday.

Bought some blind spot mirrors made especially for the Ford truck.

The sellers was great, they are aready here and installed.

Everything worked GREAT!

The only thing is I will only use my American Express card for these purchases. American Express seems to cover your back on internet purchases.

With PayPal, they want to to "Verify", by giving them checking account information. It is not required, but recommended.

I will not do that! NO WAY

Tantrum 03-01-2003 01:26 PM

"Just be careful but 99% of the time you will have good luck with it
"

Ive heard alot of possitive stories. Im trying to be careful from the start. I want to be able to bid, but only want to give out as little personal info a possible.
Thanks for the tips.

otis311 03-01-2003 01:33 PM

Tantrum, Whats up. What was the outcome with your outdrive from Lake George ?? I got the new tow rig (cig) ready. I specialize in 50mph tow jobs

Lake tow Bob

C_Spray 03-01-2003 02:00 PM

Ebay's great, but almost as addicting as OSO...

Chris - My experiences (100+ transactions) have all been good. I've mostly been buying small items between $10-$50, but also sold a bunch of garage clutter. It's OK to use PayPal with your AmEx - AmEx will stand behind you if need be, but I haven't experienced any problems with PayPal anway.

Be polite and just bid once - the maximum amount you're willing to pay. If you lose, forget it and move on - the item will eventually show up again. There are all sorts of "My Favorite" options you can set up - specific searches with price limits, favorite browsing areas, email notifications, etc., etc....

Tantrum 03-01-2003 02:13 PM

Otis; Im actually making phone calls on the drive today. I did hear rumor there was a new "Cig Tow Service" on Lake George, I shoulda known you were behind it :D Hopfully it will be a problem free year but just in case Im going to reinforce all tow points with 4x8 sheets of 1/4" inch steel plates :crazy: might way my boat down but with the additional HP in your new tow rig we should be fine :rolleyes:

C_Spray; Sorry I missed out on the winter party this year. Thanks for the tips and say HI to WooHoo for me.

Red Stripe 03-01-2003 03:59 PM

I have had over 300 positive transactions on Ebay both selling and buying combined. I've only had 3 deadbeat bidders and have run into a few jerks but all in all, I've had great luck with Ebay.

I also deal with paypal on a daily basis and have never had a problem. Not one! (over 150 transactions through paypal)

Use a Credit Card with a small limit for all your online purchases. You can call and have your limit raised and lowered as needed.
Just be smart about it and you will be fine.

:D

Shanghied Again 03-01-2003 04:06 PM

Hey Chris were have you been? Haven't heard from you at all this Winter. Melissa says hello Give a call one day.

tripps 03-01-2003 06:22 PM

I bought a mota from a guy in Illnois ,used pay pal,with a escroe account,recived item,checked it out,all OK,then released money to seller.all worked out well and buy now and then. its a good way,for big ticket stuff,or a visit is necssary. tripps