Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   33' PowerPlay or 31' Sutphen ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/44817-33-powerplay-31-sutphen.html)

KN 03-06-2003 09:32 AM

33' PowerPlay or 31' Sutphen ?

Looking for opinions, Has anyone driven both of these boats, been to both factories? I've visited the Sutphen factory, Richie has to be one of the nicest guy's i've ever met.

Thanks, Kirk

PS. Any input on the performance, handling, ride ect. of both boats would be great.

BODYSHOT1 03-06-2003 09:34 AM

Sutphen

1 Attachment(s)
..but I'm partial, having run in this one....

velocitoy 03-06-2003 10:19 AM

HEY KN...Not THIS again!!!...LOL...The choices tho are VERY tough...They are BOTH well made boats....Let me think about this for awhile & I'll post my opinion (not that YOU care!!!)..........HEY...How about a VELOCITY!!!!!!!!!!!hahahaha...

Miller 03-06-2003 10:41 AM

I believe, if memory serves, the Sutphen is faster than the Powerplay with equal power. Either way, they are both great boats.

KN 03-06-2003 10:52 AM

Originally posted by velocitoy
HEY KN...Not THIS again!!!...LOL...The choices tho are VERY tough...They are BOTH well made boats....Let me think about this for awhile & I'll post my opinion (not that YOU care!!!)..........HEY...How about a VELOCITY!!!!!!!!!!!hahahaha...
Hey, Velocitoy how are things going, all opinions are welcome. Just like everyone else allways looking for the next boat. I see you were looking at a new boat, what is it?

Kirk

velocitoy 03-06-2003 02:50 PM

HEY KN...How are things up thaya in Maine, aya???...Hope things are going well for you...For a minute I couldn't figure out how you knew I was buying a boat for my kids, then it dawned on my marblehead...I am getting them a 21' RALLYSPORT (a SUPERBOAT/CHALLENGER splash) w/a 200 hp(DON"T LAUGH!!!) YAMAHA...It is a VERY nice used boat in well maintained condition...The funny thing is, I sold this boat new to this guys brother a few years back when I was in the boat sales/hi-perf rigging biz!!!...It's set up quite nicely since my shop did the original rigging & set-up (don't break your arm patting yourself on the back...hahaha)......L&S jack plate, BOB'S nose & lo-water pick-up, dialed-in/worked 4-blade, HOT-FOOT, trim on the wheel, hydr. steering (may need new),...yada-yada-yada.....it will do a nice, SAFE 65 mph.(esp if I take the fuse out of the jack plate!!!)...You sound like you're looking at something new to buy with all that disposable income you've got???Didn't you just get your SUNSATION painted by BT???....OR are you just trying to see if you can make the longest thread in OSO history???...AGAIN...hahahaha....How's the BAJA project coming along???Have you figured out the compression issue in that one cylinder???....My kids had A BALLSY time with that rig...I hope yours will too!!!....Keep in touch, maybe when the weather clears,(it's snowing even as I type but I ski so I'm psyched) we can hook up at the the big lake W....SKIulatapotata.....

Pure Energy 03-06-2003 07:04 PM

There is a beautiful 35' Sutphen in Boattrader mag. in NJ. The add says 90+ mph with 500s and standoff boxes. $125,000. I think it is a 2000.

Pantera24 03-06-2003 07:15 PM

My .02 .....

Both boats have great lines.
Both are built great.
I've never been to the Sutphen factory but...........
I did go to the Powerplay showcase at the Miami Boat Show.
And was very VERY dissatisfied by their lack of interest in showing their product .......much less just talking about it...VERY POOR customer service on that day......and if I had money to buy one or the other, right this second. I would go to Sutphen first and look at their product.

Just my .02

"Great Customer Service is not an option but standard equipment."

Lou502 03-18-2003 08:19 AM

i also went by powerplay at the miami show and we had the opposite experince. gary from texas was extremely knowledgable and helpful spent a lot time explaining things. yea dan was busy but we also spent some time and who knows more has been with one company all these years , or builds a better boat ? my choice powerplay! :)

Pantera24 03-18-2003 10:00 AM

TITOSPOWERPLAY,

Yes, that day there were 4 of us, 2 of which (Me and my son) which were wearing the Pantera T-Shirts.

Angel