Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fastest Production Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/44877-fastest-production-boat.html)

fountaindriver 03-06-2003 09:55 PM

Fastest Production Boat

Does anyone know who has the fastest production boat with a full cabin. My 42 Fountain with 1200HP Cobras ran 121 MPH at 5800 RPM on a 120 MPH GPS Speedo. It probably had six to eight MPH left, I am hoping with the proper props and a little tweaking I will be able to get 132 to 135 MPH out of it under the proper conditions. I have heard there is a 38 Outerlimits out there running 130 MPH can anyone confirm this for me.

fountaindriver 03-06-2003 10:01 PM

I will keep you informed, I just took delivery of it and I can not wait to hit the poker run circuit with it.

Semper Fi 03-07-2003 01:05 AM

Fountain driver--

There are a couple of 42' Outerlimits running 130mph+

I know of 3 42' Outerlimits that run 125+mph out here on the West Coast.

School's In Session (42' w/ 1200 Sterlings) runs approx. 128mph w/ a full cabin.

Bob Russell's 42' Outerlimits (Rock-it) has run over 140mph w/ 1300's (not too sure of power) and has a full cabin!

Frank Barbarino's 42' "Fire & Ice" runs close to these speeds

1HYPER1 03-09-2003 11:12 PM

Guys look at the thread starter,before you reply,none of the boats that you are talking about are production boats,they are all boats that are one of a kind with big exotic power and are built to the customers pocketbook,all nice boats but not plain production boats,if so everyone would have one.So to awnser the question properly,the fastest production boat would have to be a SKATER.With stock power,or production as you want to call it,cat or V bottom since it wasnt determined on the thread starter,it just said fastest production boat,and that means Skater,look at the records they speak for themselves.

Reckless32 03-10-2003 08:26 AM

1HYPER1 you took the words right out of my mouth! Plus when you start tweaking you falling outside of mfr's specs as well...

Treadwellmotorsports 03-10-2003 08:15 PM

hyper,

how in this world is a skater any diffrent then an outerlimits. and for that matter a fountain is not a production boat.

let's see 800 grande for a 40 skater or 800 grande for a 42 outerlimits.

th eproblem is the thread was neverspecific enough to even engage.

Treadwell

Need-the-Speed 03-10-2003 08:58 PM

Well let see....I have a Baja that goes 135 mph. The only catch is, I have to be wasted to get her to go that fast. For some reason when I'm sober she has a tendency to slow down by about half. All I can figure is there is a problem with my F.U.B.A.R.(alternative to GPS) Speedo. Oh well.....

Semper Fi 03-10-2003 09:14 PM

Originally posted by 1HYPER1
Guys look at the thread starter,before you reply,none of the boats that you are talking about are production boats,they are all boats that are one of a kind with big exotic power and are built to the customers pocketbook,all nice boats but not plain production boats,if so everyone would have one.So to awnser the question properly,the fastest production boat would have to be a SKATER.With stock power,or production as you want to call it,cat or V bottom since it wasnt determined on the thread starter,it just said fastest production boat,and that means Skater,look at the records they speak for themselves.
1HYPER1,

I guess there is a "fine line" here. All of the boats I mentioned are production boats, they are not race boats, but a production boat from the manufacturer. Yes, they are custom, and they cost an a$$load of dough. They all have a full cabin down below, and exotic power, so for the average Joe, these boats are not realistic. If you even put (2x) 496 Mags in a 42' outerlimits, it would be too expensive for most of us!!

1HYPER1 03-10-2003 10:19 PM

HEY TREADWELL,
If you look at stock production boats with a cabin,the 32 or 36 skater is on top of the game/stock production I dont care how you slice it the skater will be on top for speed.Now lets define production,it should be what comes in the boats that are offered to the general public and are available easily,anyone with deep pockets can put big exotic power in a boat and say that they have the fastest production boat but that isnt really a production boat now is it.Lets say I put a sterling 1250 in my 280 VELOCITY,I would be willing to say that I had a very fast boat but it is no production boat now is it,get my point.Eric I think you know what I am talking about.

BLee 03-11-2003 01:51 PM

My kind of discussion. One of my buds has a 2001 42 Fountain w/ Staggered 1200 cobras as well. No gas, cold air, wide ass open, 1 person, it gets MAYBE 115-117. Now, threadstarter says 121 with 6-8 mph left!!! With a full cabin???? I'm not calling BS, but I'm close. You must have something else your leaving out.

And yes Fountain IS a production boat. They build hundreds of boats a year, like Formula and Baja. That is the very definition of production boat.

RHC 03-11-2003 03:14 PM

Is this speed measured Fri nite at the Bar,, before the Poker Run,,,, or on the GPS tattletale after the Fact????

I tink it mak a diff.

RHC

fountaindriver 03-11-2003 03:40 PM

Call Marty at Fountain, he will confirm the numbers, I took it out this past weekend and it ran 110 at 5200 RPMs and we did not have it trimmed out.

It went to Custom Graphics and I should have it back by the first week of April. I am planning on running some smaller diameter props and see what result I get.

BLee 03-11-2003 06:15 PM

Reggie Fountain himself delivered a 42 race hull here for another good friend of mine w/ 900sc's and 6's staggered and that boat ran 105-107. And an identical one was purchaced that same year and it ran the exact same speed. I've been in both boats hundreds of times on fresh and salt water and they DONT run 112-115. Thats 2 identical boats that ran identical speeds.

That article WAS bull**** and it pissed off a few people because they set their boats up to run those speeds. Magazines DO exagerate. What it says on a piece of paper is different than actually making them do it. EVERYBODY in boating exagerates their boats performance, everone knows that.

Cool avitar!

BLee 03-11-2003 06:54 PM

There is nothing that I am mad about. It's just the way it is. Theres no weak valve springs or any little excuses like that, cmon now. Randy at Lake Cumberland knows all 3 guys, and their boats, since were throwin names around. If someone buys a boat because of what speed a magazine or someone trying to make a commision off them says, then they can be sold anything. I know alot of guys that would like to sell them a boat.

"Lets Rock" the 37 Stilletto Outerlimits is on our lake and will blow the doors off all 3 Fountains (yes even the one with 1200 Cobras) and it runs 115 w/900sc's.

BLee 03-11-2003 07:16 PM

cool. All boats run differently. "Lets Rock," won't outrun some of the boats here either. It's power is just set up the closest to the boats in question. You'd have a line goin out of the courthouse if you tried to nail that many false claims.

Take it easy:cool: