Thunder or BLUNDER Struck?? >

Thunder or BLUNDER Struck??

Notices

Thunder or BLUNDER Struck??

Old 03-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Up Todd? .... I mean What's WAY Up?

G
Old 03-11-2003, 04:34 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Thunder or BLUNDER Struck??

Waterspeed,

Just my .02 [/B][/QUOTE]

Then leave it at that!!! Have you driven an AT? Do you own a boat? Read other articles about any boat that runs over 80 that has a step!

Steps, to much positive trim= poor handling
Old 03-11-2003, 04:55 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

"Steps, to much positive trim= poor handling"

Hey you've driven one

BTW I meant step NOT brand
Old 03-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Steps, to much positive trim = poor handling
No-steps, to much positive trim = poor handling
Cats, to much positive trim = poor handling

Old 03-11-2003, 05:23 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

the first step ran anywhere from 83 to 86.. It was here..it was "I-Lean" ...500 carbs ..Reg bravo1's ..then imco short drives ..then back ..3 blades ..4 blades ..half gas ..full gas..no gas..small pitch...big pitch..whata *****...
Old 03-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Registered

Sorry I did not respond sooner, but I actually had to do some work today.

My take is a simple one. I have the same boat with ke 675's and xr drives. The boat has not porposed at 80-90 mph, at any speed nor is it a handful to drive at these speeds. Someone said it correctly, there were alot of things that could have been influencing the test. Teague said it himself; he could not get the boat to unstuck from the water. With this hull design it likes to have air underneath it. It was literally stuck to the water. This is the exact thing that happened when my boat was being dialed in at the Lake. There was one difference, the person who dialed in my boat knew the boat, the bottom design and had driven it many times. Racer Rick, an experienced offshore racer, dialed my boat in. Rick had to trim the boat positive to help get some air under the hull then trim back it down. He hit 102 mph at Lake X with 2-inch sport master lowers and 34 labbed props at 5100 rpms. I still had 300 rpm’s to go with this setup.

Maybe Teague was trying to get some air under the hull and had too much positive trim causing the boat to porpoise. Give Rick a shout, ask him if he experience proposing at these speeds. The boat did not porpoise nor was it a handful. Does the boat need to be driven at these speeds, absolutely but then again so do most.

A few other things to note, the boat had 2-inch shorties on it, not one inch. I also find it odd how when the boat was tested two out of the four switchable exhausts were not functioning and it was not mentioned. Oh yeah that is right, they were Teague switchables.

As for the comments of spinning out, I think that Teague actual commented on how well the boat handled in slalom turns, actually the boat felt connected at 70 mph.

I know that while Sling has not been in my boat he has seen it running on the Phila poker run, as did many others. There were several times when we were in the 80 plus mph range, I do not recall it proposing? Maybe ask a few of the other boat in AC who happened to get passed in the ocean by my proposing hard to handle boat.

Most of the older 37 avh’s with stock power, are in the mid to upper 80’s, including Mark House who is also an offshore racer. I spoke with a lot of people before I made my purchase, specifically about the way the boat handled at over 80 mph. Not one person mentioned proposing, nor do I think they will now.

Teagues overall assesment is that the boat may need tabs when triple digit speeds approach but it is one sweet ride.

Maybe I will take Treadwell up on his offer to really help me dial the boat in. See what he has to say about the porposing and the handling ability of the boat.

I will try and reach out to racer Rick and ask him to post, as for the article…whatever. I know that the boat handles well and I will see all of you local guys at the poker runs.

Overall I did think that the article was good...

Last edited by thunderdan; 03-12-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Registered

Oh yeah, Racer Rick as I call him is also known as Rick Conti......
Old 03-11-2003, 08:24 PM
SPWilson

Actually, to be fair, i think ThunderDans boat will run around 110mph PLUS if an "experienced" professional would take the time to dial it in. I was in it at 94mph and there was No Porpoise.

Old 03-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

TRUE DAN, NEVER IN IT, LOOKED SMOOTH FROM MY "SHOT"
Old 03-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys , I guess its time for me to speak up too.................

I am Mark House and have owed my 37 AVH for two seasons now..

My background : performance boating for 10 plus years
Offshore racing for over three years with numerous wins including World Championship.....

I am not going to knock any other manufactor here , but I have been in just about every boat in the 32 - 40 foot range and attend many poker runs every year , so I know how boats perform in different conditions.
I am very happy with the performance of my boat . I have driven this boat in any condition possible. My boat has NEVER porposied at any speed or water condition . With the stock 500 EFI's the boat will run 85 - 86 mph at any given time , with a top speed of 88.2 ( GPS speeds ) ..
In very rough water this boat is superb ,. I have had this boat in real 5 - 6 foot rollers off the coastline of Miami and I have run it in storm brewed waters on the bay with holes that had to be 8 foot deep. This boat flies more level than any boat I have ever been in and re enters the water beautifully. My wife has even drove this boat in poker runs in 3 - 4 footers at over 75 mph ..
If anyone would like to talk to me about ( real life ) experiances with this boat please feel free to write me at : [email protected] or call me on my cell phone ( 540 ) 840-1555...
Or if you are any where near Virginia , I would love to take you out and show you how it performs , first hand...

Mark House

Quick Reply: Thunder or BLUNDER Struck??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.