Got some bad family news yesterday. >

Got some bad family news yesterday.

Notices

Got some bad family news yesterday.

Old 03-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. Just got back from the game (Wings were winning 5-2 with 2 minutes left when we took off, I'm sure they won ). I had to make him take it easy on the walk from the parking garage to the Joe (we got there a little late). He sure was huffing and puffing, but he says he is fine.

Anterior decending vein (??) is 100% blocked and 2 others are about 80% blocked. The Dr. told him that if he wasn't such an active person (rides bike, walks, skates miles with me, etc...) he would be in trouble. But his heart seems to have done it's "own bypass of sorts" and there is no muscle damage that they can see on the scope (he had an angiogram on Friday). So it may not be as bad as we first thought. Though this doesn't seem to calm my mothers nerves at all.

As for the hospital, the Spectum Health Group here in Grand Rapids, MI has some great surgeons. Rich Devos and Jay VanAndel have seen to that (two of the richest men in America, can you say Amway??). Jay actually had a heart transplant several years ago, so he gave the local hospitals a bunch of money just in case he needed them. Must be nice to have that kind of cash laying around!!!

No schedule has been set yet. But they Dr. that saw him on Friday says the longer he waits, the more clogged the 80% ones will get. We figure he'll be going in within the next several weeks. I'll let you know how it goes when I know.

Again, thanks all of you.

Mike
Old 03-17-2003, 01:31 AM
Registered

Mike,
Sorry to hear about your Dad. As everyone is saying open heart surgery has almost become routine. It is amazing at what they can do now days.

I've been going through the medical woes with my folks and know how hard it can be on you. If you can go with your Dad to his appointments it would be a great help to him and you keeping things straight. I have been amazed at what my parents can not remember just hours after a doctor visit. As our parents get older it's like a role reversal happens. We become the care givers to them.

We'll keep your Dad and family in our prayers.
Dan
Old 03-17-2003, 03:47 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear this Mike. Best of luck to your dad and your family.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-17-2003, 05:32 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, sorry to hear the news. As others have said, keep your chin up and everything should be fine.

Wish him well
Old 03-17-2003, 07:09 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike Sorry to hear about your dad. I know the feelings you are going through. Remember a couple months back my dad got real sick there for a bit. Hope the proceedure goes well for him and if you want to talke and shoot the chit call me any time.

Jon
Old 03-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Registered

Mike, 2 of my uncles had triple and quad bypass surgery, both are doing well and both say they never felt better.
Have a positive attitude and be strong for the family.
Good luck and you are in our prayers
Old 03-17-2003, 07:32 AM
Registered

My Father had a triple by-pass in December. After complaining about chest pains on Thanksgiving he went to the doctor and the next thing we know he is scheduled for a triple by-pass.

The worst part was recovering from the surgery, but that just took time. He is now exercising and feels better than he has in years.

So think positive, he will come out of this feeling better than ever.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike..we will have your DAD in our prayers, Regards Augie.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Waterfoul

Get him in and get this done!

It is very routine nowadays, but he is looking at a heart attack if he doesn't get this fixed.

Denial, yes probably he is in this. Tell him he has no choice, and that if he truly loves the family he will do it for them!.

Wannabe
Old 03-17-2003, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear, Mike. It can be tough to learn of such things with loved ones, but hang in there. He should be just fine and will feel many times better afterwards. My mom had a quad bypass and double valve replacement last year...She's much better off for it now. It's pretty common these days with very, very high success rates.

Quick Reply: Got some bad family news yesterday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.