Thunder or BLUNDER Struck??

Notices

Thunder or BLUNDER Struck??

Old 03-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder or BLUNDER Struck??

Did anyone read the new Powerboat Magazine article on the 37' Active Thunder? Sure sounds a little odd that at any speed over 80 the boat starts to porpoise and requires "quite a bit of driving skill"

In an age when the speeds are creeping up on all "pleasure" boats, I would think that there is an issue with the design of any boat that gets to be a hand-full at just over 80...

Is John Q Public, who just paid $370k, really going to be able to handle this boat even at moderate speeds??

Going fast is great, but doing it in a safely designed boat is even better!

Just my .02
Old 03-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

80-90 in any boat requires skills- I think they were running the boat at 80 without tabs, there statment makes me think that you need to drive with the tabs level or down a little, at the higher speeds for stability.

just the way I took it
Old 03-11-2003, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

I didn't read the article thoroughly yet but the boat they tested is privately owned and has alot of mods. It seems that it is not dialed in correctly/has the wrong mix of drive heights/props etc.

What it does show is that if you want to venture into the 80 plus mph realm then you better either know how to set it up yourself or pay someone that does so that you can ENJOY it while driving instead a strapping yourself to a wild horse everytime you go out.

I'm no expert but I would definitely not enjoy a boat that porpoises at that speed for sure!!!
Old 03-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Registered

Angry The article is incorrect !!!

The boat does not porpoise at any speed.

The article was very disapointng to me as a 37 AT owner. All the reasons we purchased the boat, the ride, efficiency, rough water capability, top notch materials and components, build quality (and the list goes on and on) were not mentioned in the aritcle.

We looked at and drove many boats before our AT purchase including, Fountain, Formula, Powerquest and Sonic, and none of them came close in ride quality, efficiency (speed for the horsepower) and driveability. Not to mention the other attributes of the 37 AVH.

No sour grapes here, just disapointment. If you are seriously interested in a 38 foot boat, you owe it to yourself to go for a ride in an AT before you make a purchase.

The aritcle is just plain wrong.

Last edited by h2owarrior; 03-11-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I highly doubt that the professionals who wrote the article are wrong...They just told it like it was..
Old 03-11-2003, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Default Re: The article is incorrect !!!

Originally posted by h2owarrior
If you are seriously interested in a 38 foot boat, you owe it to yourself to go for a ride in an AT before you make a purchase.

The aritcle is just plain wrong.
I'm in complete agreement with h2o- this has to be one of the worst written articles on a boat test they have ever done, and I've been a subscriber for nearly 20 years.
Their are no mentions of the great attributes of this Harry Shoell-designed boat, including its ability to plane and run on one engine/drive. Or the fact it has none of the nasty traits normally found with many step-boats made by other mfg's. Their wasn't a single pic of what is one of the classiest interiors in boating today.
Even worse, an assessment of a rough water boat done in 6" waves? We the consumer are owed much more. They should wait a day or two to do the test if it's too damn calm.
Test and article were completely botched by Powerboat Magazine.
The 37AVH is a truly incredible boat.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Registered

"nasty traits normally found with many step-boats made by other mfg's"

what are those traits?... and who are the mfg's??
Old 03-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Registered

I agree with H20 and Jafo, The boat rides great just ask the guys who have had them awhile(Mark House) I think somebody has a beef with Harry or Pat because it was a bogus. The detail work, the interior the rigging was glazed over
Old 03-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Registered

Originally posted by waterspeed
I highly doubt that the professionals who wrote the article are wrong...They just told it like it was..
Sounds like you need to go for a ride. I bet Thunder Dan, who lives in the Noth East, can oblige if your interested. You are invited for a ride with me. but my boat only runs mid 80's. Dan's will run over 100.

When he and Jassman read this you can bet they will have comments
Old 03-11-2003, 02:09 PM
SPWilson

Hmmmmm.

Quick Reply: Thunder or BLUNDER Struck??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.