Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: How many OSO members are firefighters?  Either career or Voly's? >

OT: How many OSO members are firefighters? Either career or Voly's?

Notices
View Poll Results: Who is a firefighter?
Voly
50.00%
Career
50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

OT: How many OSO members are firefighters? Either career or Voly's?

Old 03-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Preferredstock

Unhappy

CFD5 Sorry man That's a bummer.
I've been the "Senior Captain" for a while and that
is one thing I hope I never have to deal with.

We talked E-one and Pierce into a head to head demo tomorrow. 105 ft arieal's Okauchee Fire Dept.
(Wisconsin) Just in case anyone wants to join us.

Bill

Old 03-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by CFD5
Unfortunately we had a FF killed in the line of duty on Friday.
CFD5,
Sorry to hear about your/our fallen brother.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and the department.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started hanging around the firehouse at age 16 in the town I grew up in. At the time you could have such a thing as a junior firemen to help out with washing the trucks and maintaining the equipment and not have the fear of being sued by insurance companies or individuals because the people of the town were just happy that someone cared enough about them to volunteer their own time to help them out when they needed it.

I can't remember the countless hours of Monday night training that I went to so that I could be prepared to help out in an emergency situation. The same goes for the weekend fire school classes held at the air base and the vocational school.

I lived in a rural community so the closest hospital was around 30 minutes away and when it came to any type of medical care we were it. I became an emergency medical technician (EMT) at the age of 18 and through the years I have seen more disturbing things than I care to remember. It might be one thing to preform CPR on a total stranger and let the thought drift to the back of your mind but when it is a friends parent that you work on these things tend to linger.

For every bad vehicle accident or house fire that happened I can also remember good things that happened that I still hold dear to this day.

I want to thank the volunteers that go out and do this. I was there, I know. The monitor goes off in the dead of night and you go to the call but still have to report to your "real" job for the day. Or your in the middle of dinner or your mowing the grass or your getting ready for work and the alarm sounds and you just can't ignore the call because someone needs your help.

I am no longer in the fire service. I had my chance to do other things and there are times where I deeply regret not following it and making it my career choice.

Thanks to "All" of the fire service members that risk their lives to protect us.

Cordell
Old 03-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My condolences to family, friends and co-workers
Steve
Old 03-25-2003, 07:37 AM
Registered

Career
Firefighter/ paramedic 6 years
Green Township Fire Department
Old 03-25-2003, 07:47 AM
Registered

Last night a neighboring deaprtment that we run mutal aid with had the first of several drill nights where we were to burn a house. Next month we will burn it completely. We had just done our required walk through/orientation of gteh residence and were to begin a short briefing prior to drilling. Then the tones went out, we had a working fire in our district about 2 miles away and just up the road from my home. We had two companies on it in minutes and were able to contain the fire to the source (a drier) and partially up the wall and on the ceiling. A great save and well run response!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, mule. After the funeral on thurs, we are all going to Rockbottom Brewery. Call me at E-5 today if you are interested and want to meet up, haven't had a chance to talk to your bro yet.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

CFD5, It saddens me to hear about a fallen firefighter. I have been in the fire/emergency service for 24 years. As a pd/vol for DuPont. Most of that time as an officer. Firefighter,EMTand Haz-Mat Technician. Instructor in all three areas.