Removing Salt From Aluminum >

Removing Salt From Aluminum

Notices

Removing Salt From Aluminum

Old 03-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removing Salt From Aluminum

IS THERE ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO GET SALT OUT OF ALUMINUM, AND NOT BY JUST WASHING IT, LIKE SOME SORT OF SOLUTION THAT NEUTRALIZES IT, ANY IDEAS?
Old 03-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

muriatic acid...i love this ****!...you'll love it!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

If you have a good auto paint supplies store they should have what you need-
Alumiprep (etch)
Alodine 1101 or 1201 after you have etched and rinsed thoroughly. (1101 is clear, 1201 gold tint alodine)
Dow, 3M, Henkel Surface Technologies are all mfg.s of these products. Same stuff we use in aviation for corrosion treatment of aluminum structures and parts. Follow the instructions on the containers carefully.
Muriatic can physically eat away at the grain structure of aluminum alloys, even when diluted greatly. Stick with the Mil-Spec stuff......
Jim
Old 03-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

audacity is right. LIME AWAY is good for neutralizing salt on stainless. I can't remember if it works on aluminum as well.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as always cry has the answer.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:16 AM
Registered

i used to use lime away and a hard scrub brush...my driver phil would make fun of me...so he made a point o bring me a ultra soft brush, 1/2 gal of water with a cap of ma in it....the **** falls off!!! i felt like an ass!...after that we rinse everything and spray and whipe clean with royal purple spray. the inside hub on all of our props look better now that when they came out of the box.

it will burn like hell if you get it in a cut...and eat holes in your clothes...
Old 03-23-2003, 07:34 AM
Banned

We use muriatic acid all the time at work. If you use it, don't get it on any stainless steel, it will tarnish it, and the only way to remove the tarnish is to grind it off.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:40 AM
Registered

i use it ALL the time on SS...we use it on both our mirror finished stuff and satin stuff...it only takes a cap full in a 1/2 gal...the **** SMOKES!
Old 03-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

What about boiling out the innards of a procharger intercooler? What would you recommend to eat the salty crap out of them and THEN what would you recommend to run back thru them to kind of leave a protectant there (no more salt thru them, only fresh from now on).
Old 03-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Registered

bro...i have no idea what lies in that intercooler...or what coating(s) they may have used....i do know we flush with fresh water and dish soap does a damn good job on our engines...what does procharger say???

we have propblems in dyno testing with coolers...our water is hard on them....we now replace them at a given point no matter what.

Quick Reply: Removing Salt From Aluminum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.