Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Info for those running chips in their trucks. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46318-info-those-running-chips-their-trucks.html)

Mr. Demeanor 03-26-2003 03:03 PM

Info for those running chips in their trucks.

I know allot of you have aftermarket "chips" in your tow vehicles. There is a good discussion going on over at Thedeiselstop.com regarding Ford voiding warranties on trucks equipped with performance enhancing "chips".

I'm not taking sides. I know that when I purchased mine, I was told it would not effect my warranty. That does not seem to be the case however. I was quoted the law that states anything that passes Fed emissions standards can not void your warranty by law. Anyway, its good info.

Maybe Boot and some others that sell these things can chime in.

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...=&fpart=1&vc=1

26scarab 03-26-2003 04:26 PM

Thats why they unplug so easy !!;)

LapseofReason 03-26-2003 04:37 PM

The new Ford computer's are like a black box in a plane, they can tell if it's been chipped or remapped then put back to stock, they can even tell how many day's and hours of use. It will tell them how hard you are on it, gas pedal placement how fast you floor it.Or how hard you are on the brakes. You can't hide anything it the computer so if you don't know somebody at Ford you better get a spare computer. I have a powerprogramer in my truck and ain't taking it out it is the single best thing I have done to it.

GO4BROKE 03-26-2003 05:45 PM

To void a warranty the factory must prove the aftermarket part caused the failure. You may have to complain your way past a few flunkies, but if they can't prove the mod broke whatever, then they have to cover it.

Byron 03-26-2003 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have an X and an F-350 both with 100 hp chips. My excursion pcm went out while I was out of town. I had it towed home so my buddy at a local but large dealership could get it covered under warranty. Ford said NO NO NO!! we could tell the chip has been installed by the wax being scraped away. I argued the best that I could. But I ended up buying my own PCM afterall. They covered brake problems etc., but they said no more. Oh well I'm putting another chip in anyway. Who needs warranties this is to much fun!

WHITE-DIAMONDS 03-26-2003 08:34 PM

I've got a 2000 Excursion, its got the V-10, yes I know I should have gone with the PSD. Anyway, lately it seems the gas milage has gotten even worse. The computer milage thing says I am getting 9.7 miles a gallon.........it seems even worse than that!!

My question is, what is the best chip to get, where to get it, how much it costs and what kind of improvements as far as gas milage and performance can I expect???

Thanks!:D

WHITE-DIAMONDS

LapseofReason 03-26-2003 08:43 PM

just go trade it for the psd I get over twice the mpg you are getting.

I like my hyper tech powerprogramer, because it just reprogrames the stock one, so if you want to go back before you take it to the shop you just plug it in and put it back.

fatdaddy 03-26-2003 09:42 PM

Lapse, you're getting 19+mpg on a PSD X? My '02 is avg.'g 14 mpg, is something wrong? and my truck really stinks when running, the smoke goes away after a few min.'s, normal?

boot 03-26-2003 10:16 PM

OH COME ON NOW !! LETS NOT LET THIS GET OUT OF HAND !:p :D

As some of you know I sell and install every name brand chip that is worth a crap and even some that are not if you insist !!

All warentee issues are in the hands of the guy behind the desk at YOUR dealership. I will tell you flat out , most of them are idiots !!:mad:

I could tell you dozens of stories good and bad about warrentee issues .

Lets start with fact that a LOT of dealers sell and install chips ! Downs Ford in NJ is the east coast distributer for Superchips ! There are close to 100 Ford dealers nation wide that sell and install Western Diesel performance products ! Centurion custom trucks (backed by ford ) installs western diesel on most of their packages from the factory !

Give me a state , I'll list the dealers that install chips for you .........The computers do have a memory but it is very limited .In fact most of them can not tell you why a check engine light came on ! Ask "Audiofn" ! Remember his trans problem ? ( Did they fix it yet ?) If it is an issue the memory is easily blanked out .Any good mechanic will do that anyway no matter what he is doing on your truck or car . It is a good idea to do it once a year just to start from scratch . It will help in how it runs and drives most of the time .
" Mr. Demeanor ", who told you "I was quoted the law that states anything that passes Fed emissions standards can not void your warranty by law" ?

Thats funny !! :D :D But not true.

Lapse of Reason, I know the programmers are cheap and easy fun ,but as I said in the past , Watch those exhaust temps !!! Programmers are known for real high temps and also have caused some trans problems . they can't take full advantage of all the systems the truck has like a good chip can and they have nothing to back them up . That computer memory eats away at the programs . I know , I sell them when I have to .........

GO4BROKE, I think you are pretty close !

Byron , In the future ,if it becomes a problem , keep a small can of clear coat paint on hand . The terminals are clear coated. Use a good brush ( tiny one) and re-clear the terminals . Next unhook the negative battery terminals and turn everything on including the key for a hour . This will drain the memories battery . If the dealer is suspicious of the clear memory ( which he won't ) tell him you left the lights on and killed the battery !

:p ( Did I real just say all that :eek: )

WHITE-DIAMONDS, Go check out the site F150.com (I think) They have great info on gas engine chips ! I like the super chip for the ford gas motor ONLY .Diablo is OK too when they work . Once you know what you want ,e-mail me and I will get you a price or answer more quesions .

If it makes you all fell better , I had a 2001 Ford with a 160 or so added hp blow up !! Call my dealer , told him about it (and the chip). He said no problem , bring it in . They had a new motor in , in about 4 days ,no quesions about it ! About a month later , he calls me and says ," Just so you know , we just determined the motor to have had a bad conecting rod " . But they did fix it up front under warrentee with no quesion ! I had another guy I installed a system for including a BD exhaust brake . His trans had a problem ( thanks to his superchips programmer ) . Took it in to a differnt dealer with everything in it and they gave him a new trans in just 2 days ! Now that same dealer told me the week before if i put a chip in another guys F150 they would void his warrentee !! GO FIGURE !

I hope this helps a little . I don't know it all ( YET ) but I try !:D

Got to run now it's 11:20 at night and I need to finish an install of a new ATS wastegated turbo , Western diesel chip, 4' exhaust , exhaust brake ,and some gauges . I don't know if I can now after all this typing !

LATER , JOE

boot 03-26-2003 10:20 PM

fatdaddy, trucks will differ do to load ,axel ratio even how it is serviced ,and definately the driver !

My brother 2000 F350 CC. was getting 14.5 . I drove for abot 2-3 weeks and I got 17.2 or so ! Now I HAVE TO GO

LAter ,JOE