Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone ever own a Lotus? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46363-anyone-ever-own-lotus.html)

SinkorSwim 03-27-2003 07:29 AM

Anyone ever own a Lotus?

1 Attachment(s)
My wife has always had a thing for the movie "Pretty Woman" since she was a kid. I have the opportunity to buy a Lotus, that is supposedly exactly like the one they used in the filming. Trouble is I know nothing about them. I have contacted a local mechanic who specializes in them and he is going to meet with me about the car.

It is a 2.2L 4 cyl with an intercooled turbo with a 5 speed..... 1990 model..

Tantrum 03-27-2003 08:18 AM

I had a buddy that had one some time back. It was probly an early 80's. As long as I new him he could never drive it because of a cracked windshield. The glass was dam near flat and everytine he went up his driveway apron it cracked again. I think he had something like four windshields in the car never making it out into the street. I dont remember the history of the car as to weather it was ever in an accident or not but thats very possible, he was quite young to be owning a Lotus. I know what your looking at is no where near the same car. I would do what you did and get a mechanic that only works on Lotus who knows what the market is and what to look for.
Good luck.
Sweet looking car.

GLH 03-27-2003 08:22 AM

Nice looking but a sh&*^load of trouble to run. A friend had one and that thing was t!ts up all the time. He did get it for nothing also I guess the word is around.

rainmn 03-27-2003 08:35 AM

I would recommend making good friends with that mechanic. I had a friend / boss who bought an 87 Turbo Espirit back around 90-91. It was a fun car to drive, when it ran. I couldn't possibly name everything that went wrong with that car. In typical British fashion, many of the problems were electrical, but not all of them.
I remember it having more than a few oil leaks too.
I ended up with the car for a few months before he finally dumped it. He knew it was a POS, and that he should get rid of it, but it was so much fun to drive, he didn't want it in his garage. He figured he'd take it out for a ride and change his mind about selling it, so he gave it to me to keep until it went.
For the price I see them selling for, I still think they're a great car for the money, as long as you know exactly what you're getting into with one.

Quest for Speed 03-27-2003 09:17 AM

Have a good talk with your mechanic, the car is not as much trouble as the other posts would suggest. The thing to remember is you are not buying a Honda Accord, you are buying a de-tuned race car. Just like your boat that needs only regular maintenance with stock power but needs a lot more fine tuning once you start adding horse power, the same goes for cars with big horse power.

P.S For the price of a Lotus you get a great looking and performing car. Set aside some of the money you save for the extra tune ups you'll need.:D

Gary Anderson 03-27-2003 09:17 AM

A joke for those who have owned a british car:

Why do the British drink warm beer?
Because they have Lucas refridgerators.

IMHO, british cars may be the only thing that needs more repairs than boats.
Gary

seanclong 03-27-2003 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Gary Anderson

Gary

Believe me when I say that French cars need frequent repairs too!!! A LeCar was my first car in high school and it would break down on the way home from the dealer after service!!!! :D :D :D It was fun, though. Hell, any car is fun when your 16...

seanclong 03-27-2003 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Gary Anderson

Gary

What is it they say? Lucas electronics have three settings. Dim, flicker and off... :D :D

Iggy 03-27-2003 09:39 AM

I always thought the Esprit was a cool looking car.
But after owning an MG for a very shrot time I'm not sure I want to again. Lots of expensive maintenence. And the Lucas (The Prince of Darkness) electric system leaves a lot to be desired.

Poked around the web and found what I thought was a good Esprit site. Take a look at their "Problems" and "Maintenence" sections. Lotus Esprit

East Coast B 03-27-2003 10:28 AM

All those problems and all that maintenance...... Wouldn't be any different than owning a boat!!!!!