Notices

? for Tennessee River Boaters

Old 03-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? for Tennessee River Boaters

Guys,

I have passed "Cuba Landing" for 20 years now on I-40 east of Memphis on the Tennessee River.

Finally stopped there today to check it out on the way back to North Carolina.

It is only two miles off I-40, good road, good ramp, parking and docks, and very nice people.

Bottom line is I want to do some boating on the river. Down side for me is it is 492 miles exactly from there to my front door.

In looking at the map, it appears that I should be able to get on the river somewhere around Knoxville. This would save about 200 miles of towing?

A couple of years ago there were several of you guys that posted some info on the river.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that can provide information about ramps, parking, marina's, pro and cons of the river, etc.

Hope to make a trip around June this year.

Thanks Mark
Old 03-31-2003, 08:04 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

http://members.aol.com/americacruising/tennessee.html

Found the above link which has a lot of good information.

Hope to hear from some of you that have boated the river.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doc
I have traveled the river from Chickamagua Damn to Watts Bar in my Formula and SeaRay, about 55 miles. Nice scenic river and easily navagated. There is a ramp right next to Erwin Marine Sales just outside of Chatanooga. They sometimes do local poker runs and stuff, their number is 423-622-1978, ask for Brian and tell him I sent ya.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:02 AM
Registered

Dock,
Ihave been from Cuba Landing all the way to the Ohio River. A guy I work with lives just south of Cuba on the river. There is not a whole lot of marinas through there. Paris Landing is one that everyone stops at. Also Green Turtle Bay. In Paducah there is a party cove called the quarry which is an old rock quarry. The one thing that screwed me up traveling on the river is that when you are going south you are actually traveling against the current.
Mike
Old 04-01-2003, 01:45 AM
Registered

Likewise have traveled it from Cuba to Ohio to mississippi to Gulf to Biloxi to Pensacola. This was back in the nineties when you could still buy fuel on the Mississippi. The Tenn is nice. Very Clean and beautiful. Green Turtle Bay Marina is one of the nicest in the country. Leave the marina and walk the six or so blocks into town for dinner at Kathy's. They serve a two inch thick pork chop from hell and your bread is served in the clay flower pot it was baked in, directly out of the oven. Bill's Bone Box next door is worthwhile too. The Marina also has an excellent restaurant.

On weekends the locals have an honest to God Street Dance at the town park. It is a real treat. Explore the Land Between the Lakes where they cleared out every man made structure (except cemeteries and a couple of historic deals) for one hundred miles.

You'll find every possible need in the area including about a dozen major repair facilities should the need arrive. I enjoyed crossing over into the Cumberland and running upstream to Nashville. They have excellent municipal docking facilities right downtown, about 300 feet from the olriginal country music scene.

FYI: The State of Tennessee Tourism folks sponsor a Sea Doo ride all the way to Knoxville each June. Last time I counted there were over 500 participants. Might be a good weekend to not be on the river...unless, of course, you need a little target practice.

Doc
Old 04-01-2003, 01:51 AM
Registered

Oh...and one other thing. Whatever you do...as long as you live...don't ever...and I really mean ever....don't ever, ever, ever put your boat in the Mississippi River. That's a whole other story but just trust me on this. Never, ever, ever in the Mississippi.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:48 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Thanks very much for all the information. The more I learn, the more I want to explore the river.

Keep it coming!
Old 04-01-2003, 08:52 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I'll believe it when I see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got those drives rebuilt and ready?

I cannot tell you how much we are enjoying the 36. Everytime I see a new body of water I ready to explore!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:49 AM
RHC
Registered

Default New Water:

Lake Erie,, Doc,,,,, Lake Erie,, Six to Eight footers and then in 3 hours ,,,, Flat as a Lillie Pond,,, Just cross the big hill and come on up.. July 18th 19th, and 20th... East Side Lower Level Poker Run. Try and make it ...

RHC

Ps. They only break when u use them,,,,