24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat

Notices

24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat

Old 05-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just Once,

How'd they do on the layup, stringers etc.??

A BRT 24 setup the same way in this area had to have a good amount of stringer work done - it started coming apart.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green Banana
Attached Thumbnails 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-green-banana.jpg  
Old 05-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

Team Banana
Attached Thumbnails 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-b73-team-banana.jpg  
Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
Tripps:
Thanks for the welcome. Small World!! Yes I remember McBetts Engines very well and John Betts. My dad always spoke very highly of you guys and had a lot of respect for your engines. I was at that race in CA in '79 (I was only 12 then) and it was awesome. I think John Betts was there too?? McBetts also built us a couple of car engines for our IMSA race car too in '89 or '90??

Glad to hear that you had a Banana boat too. My dad has one of the original ones with a built 350 and TRS which I think was the best setup - weight/distribution/power-wise.
That's an amazing story about having the deck before the hull. I have one too - bought a 1988 hull and deck and cut the back seat out and slid it backwards to give more room in the cock-pit. Got an Armstrong bracket w/ swim platform and w/Yamaha 225. It's fast but not as fast or as stable in rough water as my dad's boat. Both boats have all the usual stress cracks around the front corners of the cockpit. My dad had to replace his aluminum gas tank a few years ago - I'm lucky - I have a stainless tank.

Don't know if anybody is interested out there but I have alot of early media on the banana boat - like the original brouchere etc. I could make copies and send to anyone interested...send me a PM if so. I have to upgrade this account too I think so I can maybe post what I have. I can also post pics of my boat so you can see what I did with the back seat...
Charlie Jr, Just read your post, I remember you in calafornia, also at my shop(McBetts Racing Engines) .I am in North Carolina Now, Still building engines, Still Winning ! Say hello to your dad for me.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Registered

Default BRT Annapolis MD

24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-091204-015.jpg

24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-picture-013_edited.jpg
Originally Posted by Hang Time 27
Just Once,

How'd they do on the layup, stringers etc.??

A BRT 24 setup the same way in this area had to have a good amount of stringer work done - it started coming apart.
There is only one BRTin our area and it belongs to me. There was no "good amount" of stringer work required to stop the boat from coming apart. The boat was solid since day one and remains strong to this day. I had Persimmon Point Marine beef up the hull in th early 90's with the installation of a full rear bulkhead which provided extra stability and more accessable engine space. MDG Performance then installed a Merc420 with B&M 174 Supercharger on Bravo / IMCO 2 inch lower unit and extra long kplanes. I ran it pretty much wide open for 6 years with no major engine failures. The current motor is a MDG 600 and it will run 80 on GPS with tabs up... 75 with tabs level / down one notch. The boat is my classic hot rod and is a blast to drive!

Last edited by paulg; 09-22-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Air Dog
Green Banana
jeb browns boat and it might of been his mother next to him, looks more like kenny his buddy. jeb went on to build COOL RUNNING a custom one off concept 28 hull. the mold was a 31 I think and a race boat ran tripps 300 v8 obs, jeb had 2 v8 obs and the boat hauled the mail too.

Last edited by AIR TIME; 09-20-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Air Dog
Team Banana
mike snow and his brother we grew up together, that was his 1st boat second was a two seater kevlar boat with 2.4s
Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLee
24 Firefox
Anyone know where the black Firefox ended up?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by paulg
Attachment 396902

Attachment 396903

There is only one BRTin our area and it belongs to me. There was no "good amount" of stringer work required to stop the boat from coming apart. The boat was solid since day one and remains strong to this day. I had Persimmon Point Marine beef up the hull in th early 90's with the installation of a full rear bulkhead which provided extra stability and more accessable engine space. MDG Performance then installed a Merc420 with B&M 174 Supercharger on Bravo / IMCO 2 inch lower unit and extra long kplanes. I ran it pretty much wide open for 6 years with no major engine failures. The current motor is a MDG 600 and it will run 80 on GPS with tabs up... 75 with tabs level / down one notch. The boat is my classic hot rod and is a blast to drive!
Thanks for the correction !! I had it wrong. That's good to hear. I always liked that thing!!