Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46751-24-cigarette-fire-fox-vs-24-banana-boat.html)

Air Dog 04-01-2003 03:06 PM

24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat

Does anybody have pictures of a 24' Cig Fire Fox?

I have a 24 Banana. From what I understand the mold was
once a cigarette.

Just curious how they compare...

fobes 04-01-2003 04:51 PM

Air Dog: could you post some pics of your 24'. I have read that the 24' Cig, 24' Pantera, 24' Excalibur, 24' Superboat and 24' Monza are all the same hull with different decks, don't know if the Banana is in there also but they look like they could be. How does yours ride in the rough and how is the build quality? I believe they were (and may still be) built in R.I. There was one running around here in Boston Harbor a couple of years ago with twin outboards, seemed like a nice boat...Matt

riskybusiness 04-01-2003 05:12 PM

They haven't built a Banana Boat since about 1992 or so. The molds are in storage in Providence, RI.

I had worked there for several years (88-92), building the Banana's--awesome little rough-water boats.

I had been told while working there that the molds were once a 24' Cigarette Firefox, I believed it to be true, but never really researched to verify.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of those other boats named above were splashed from the same hull mold, as they look very similar, but again, I never did a side-by-side comparison.

One difference I have noticed between the Banana hull and others is the 6" (or so) "ridge" or "border" along the gunwale. It helps to stiffen the sides of the hull a bit. I have noticed its absence from other similar hulls.

Anyway--enjoy it--those Bananas, in my humble opinion are awesome boats (certainly for the money, anyway)!

tripps 04-01-2003 05:14 PM

Hey air,dont you have that second mota on that thing yet? come on,summers comin!!! :D :D :D and as far as i know,it is a cig hull,my bannana looked identical to it. The p+ds,superboats,excalibers,etc had 7ft beams,the bannanas and cigs had 8ft beams,i could be off a coupla inches, tripps

Too slow 04-01-2003 08:22 PM

good point about the beam difference Tripps....Fobes..what color was the Banana running around boston harbor?Air dog..any pics of your new interior yet?hey Riskybuisness ..havent heard from you in a while..a bought Bridgeports(240's) and jackplates for Banana ..youll have to go for a ride sometime..and then i show you some mistakes you made when building it..just kidding..did i cover everyone?

Air Dog 04-02-2003 09:13 AM

Going Banana's

Hello fellow Banana Heads.

I have the second 200hp Merc, but the power head is still not rebuilt.

I am gonna spend one more summer with only one prop pushing my rig.

Being an airline pilot sucks right now. All my buddies are unemployed and they cut my pay.

This means no boat money. Oh well, at least I have a job.

I agree on all the above comments on the other boats. I got a tour of the Pantera operation in Miami last year.

The 24 Pantera has a 7 foot beam. Up close the deck on the Pantera is curved and not flat like the Banana. Also the hull is very close but different. Not sure about the Jaws or Monza.

I gotta go flying right now, but I will post some pics in a few days.

See ya...

BLee 04-02-2003 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
24 Firefox

BLee 04-02-2003 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another

VelocityMike 04-02-2003 09:53 AM

I found one of these boats for sale in the want ads. Its a 1982 with a 454 for 13,500. I was thinking about taking a look at it. What can you guys tell me about these boats like how do the handle and any problems with them?

fobes 04-02-2003 06:42 PM

Too Slow: I don't remember the color of the one in Boston but I believe it had twin 200 Mercs, nice rough water boat...Matt