Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Image Boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46764-image-boats.html)

Rapid22 04-01-2003 06:05 PM

Image Boats?

Has anyone ever heard of Image boats (30' cat)? It looks as if they produced boats from 1983-1988 or so. They look like the old Shadow Cats. Are they a good boat(workmanship and materials) or just a cheaper knock-off? They all look like the Chris Cat. Thanks for any help.

fobes 04-01-2003 06:17 PM

I have an old Powerboat test of the Image 30' cat, I believe Shadow was called Image Team Shadow at one time and that the 30' Image is a Shadow in fact, that they are one in the same. post your fax # if you'd like and I'll fax you the test...Matt

46tomcat 04-01-2003 06:41 PM

I belive the image cat is the same as ocean express and express I had a 1985 39 ft made in algonac mi

Treadwellmotorsports 04-01-2003 07:02 PM

image boat company is team shadow. they produced a 21 ft v hull and a 30 ft shadow cat. it was an original design by linder. chris cat splashed it, ocean experss, superboat,and american offshore,and a couple other company's did i can't remember there names at the moment. it was and still is a great design. it's the best rough water cat out there.

Treadwell

Treadwellmotorsports 04-01-2003 07:04 PM

t2x can give you the whole story. that's all i know, if my info is correct.

Treadwell

superfast 04-01-2003 07:15 PM

Chris cat didn't "splash" the Shadow, Linder actually made revisions to the design for them.

Treadwellmotorsports 04-01-2003 07:34 PM

sorry i thought they did. i stand corrected. my bad. but didn't team shadow sue chris craft for splashing the boat and win. chris craft could no longer make the boats.

this is just what i was told years ago. i could and may be wrong.

Treadwell

Shane 04-01-2003 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Treadwellmotorsports
sorry i thought they did. i stand corrected. my bad. but didn't team shadow sue chris craft for splashing the boat and win. chris craft could no longer make the boats.

this is just what i was told years ago. i could and may be wrong.

Treadwell

I have had many conversations with Rich and George about the history of these two great designs. Here is what my febble memory can recall. George and Rich designed and built the Shadow with another gentleman whose name escapes me at the present. Chris Craft hired I BELIEVE George to consult in the design of a high performance boat and the Chris Cat was born. Although it bears many srinking similarities I believe the Chris Cat is a design unto itself albeit originated off the Shadow. You are certainly correct in that it is still one of the BEST rough water cat designs to this day! How about a little fillin' in the blanks T2x and GJL?:)

Jolley 04-01-2003 08:01 PM

I'm redoing my 26 Ocean X and after sanding back to gel, I found the old graphix are the same as the image Cats , from the Focht family. Mines a rocker bottom. I believe after that Ocean X built the boat with a totally different bottom with a hook (ahg.) I know Sparky (Vicious) would know exactly what's up as he was Ocean's Chief Rigger not too long ago................ The big cats are a completely different animal, but they share more than differ. I love the way my boat handles the ruff stuff especially the reliability of the outboards. It really is built soundly............... If it was built at one of the Focht's facilities, it will be a solid boat. my .02

Treadwellmotorsports 04-01-2003 08:30 PM

if someone were to bring back team shadow, what would you guy's think. do you think the boats would sell???

Treadwell