Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
legal advise needed  (boating related) >

legal advise needed (boating related)

Notices

legal advise needed (boating related)

Old 10-31-2005, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legal advise needed (boating related)

I was towing the Cig home yesterday thru a small town in the middle of no where, that I along with hundereds of other boaters pass thru every weekend thruought the summer to get to Lake Erie. It was trick or treat night so the entire town was out on the sidewalks. A young cop pulls up beside me at a stoplight and starts eyeballing me and my rig, the light turns green I go and he pulls me over. He then explains that he ran my plates and they came back fictitious and expired. (no other reason for pulling me over)

turns out I have the wrong plate on the wrong boat trailer however with the correct validation sticker for the trailer.

in other words, I was towing boat 1 with (expired boat 2 plate) however boat 2 plate had the current validation sticker for boat 1.

boat 2 hasnt been used in over a year which is why it is expired and apparently I goofed when puting the plates back on the trailer after some trailer paint work last winter.

This is a mandatory court appearance in a town 3 hours away, if I plea no contest Im sure I will get fried but I dont want to get a lawyer involved with somthing this petty. Any ideas on what I should do here?

this totally burns my a$$ a good friend of mine lives near that town and makes 2 trips daily thru that town year round and has never seen a boat pulled over much less without any real reason.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered

Default Re: legal advise needed (boating related)

Thrill,

What town was it? I'm origionally from that area in OH. Alot of those small farm towns have over zealious "Barney" wannabe cops....

X-
Old 10-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Registered

it was Attica, just north of Bucyrus on Rt 4. I just love the fact that I was pulled over by a young cop in a small town during trick or treat so the whole entire town could see Cpt Fife hard at work.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the metropolis of Attica. Does it still only have one red light?

Revenue, revenue, revenue and you are about to contribute. The most they can do is fine you. IF you plead NO CONTEST they may give you the maximum fine. If you plead NOT GUILTY they will schedule a trial. This only raises the ante because of additional court cost.

Take the ticket to the address specified and say I am here to pay my fine. You are lucky Barney didn't have you park the trailer!!!!!!!

Everytime I have been through that town I think of the movie "Dog Day Afternoon". Attica ! Attica! Attica!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:56 AM
rws
Registered

My fathers Family was from Attica.They have cool race track.sorry about your luck thrill.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered

So, how was PIB? What I remember of Kelleys was a blast. I know that cop always works the 45 mph zone by the co-op.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Registered

What was the actual charge?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Registered

one charge for fictitious tags and one charge for expired tags

Tom PIB was a blast as usual, Im not sure who the cop was, cant read his signature. the entire police force and fire dept was out yesterday for trick or treat, hell I never dreamed there were that many people who live in that small chithole.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:22 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

around here that is just a fine for incorrect registration, usually have to fax or mail a copy of current registration and pay a 55 fine.. don't know about ohio...
Old 10-31-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered

I talked to my cousin who is an ohio cop and he said that a fictitious plate charge is never taken lightly, he mentioned possible loss of drivers liscence and or jail time depending on how big of penis the judge wanted to be. I have a spotless reccord and would like to keep it that way for insurance reasons. I tried calling the prosecutor to exlain the situation but they refuse to talk to you until after the initial hearing. Looks like my lawyer is gonna be my only option.

Quick Reply: legal advise needed (boating related)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.