Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
California - offshores in danger! >

California - offshores in danger!

Notices

California - offshores in danger!

Old 04-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California - offshores in danger!

AB 1555 (Nakano). Motorboat Noise, New SAE Standards. Existing law prohibits the operation of motorized recreational vessels, in or upon the inland waters of the state, that exceed specified noise levels specified in Society of Automotive Engineers standards.

AB 1555 would:

delete the existing SAE J34 procedure for measuring recreational motorboat noise,
establish, for recreational vessel engines manufactured before January 1, 1993, a maximum noise level of 90 dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test conducted in accordance with SAE standard SAE J2005,
establish, for recreational vessel engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1993, a maximum noise level of 88 dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test conducted in accordance with SAE standard SAE J2005,
establish, for recreational vessel engines, a maximum noise level of 75 dB(A) measured as specified by SAE J1970, a shoreline sound level measurement procedure.
allow the aforementioned motorboat noise provisions to be operative within coastal waters, which are presently excluded.
Sponsor: Bluewater Network

--------------------------------------
so, go to http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html and find your assemblymember and write them a polite letter. Here is what I am faxing to mine:

Dear Assemblymember:

California Assembly bill 1555 was introduced February 21, 2003 by George Nakano, D-Torrance.

AB 1555, on the surface, appears to be mainly a simple technical change in noise measurement techniques for motorboat noise regulation on inland California waters.

Unfortunately an additional aspect of the bill is the extension of noise regulation to coastal waters, which are currently exempt from regulation. At first consideration this simple extension may seem trivial. However, AB 1555 is unfortunately entirely unreasonable in the context of coastal vessels.

Because saltwater and the Pacific Ocean operating conditions are different than those encountered in mild freshwater inland lakes, seagoing vessels have historically been, and continue to be constructed substantially differently from the recreational vessels designed for lake use. Seagoing vessels are much larger and much heavier than recreational lake boats, thus they almost always contain multiple engines, each of which is often much larger than the single powerplant typically present in a recreational lake boat. These diesel and gasoline engines, many thirty to fifty years old and originally designed for saltwater use, simply cannot be made to comply with modern noise standards intended for lake pleasure boats, at any cost.

Fortunately, because oceangoing vessels spend almost all of their operating hours far offshore from any area which might be affected by noise, their impact on the coastal environment is nil. This aspect of the bill seems to be nothing more than an attempt to appease a few wealthy property owners who should have been well aware of marine traffic at the time they chose to purchase their seaside homes.

Because of the coastal extension, approval of AB 1555 in its present form will simply be the beginning of a long legal dispute challenging the validity of retroactive changes to regulations that affect an industry that is important to working citizens of coastal California.

Please share this knowledge with the Assembly and in the event that an attempt is made to pass this bill, please represent our district by voting NO on AB 1555.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I have an older boat but Ill bet the way my exhuasts were run becomes very popular. The tips are just underwater at idle. I can pass any stationary noise level test they can think of.

Old 04-02-2003, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool idea.

Do the pipes come out of the transom above water and bend down into the water like a tailpipe or is your transom cut out so that the pipes are straight back and below the waterline at idle?
Old 04-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Mr. Demeanor

The boats a 92 Four Winns Liberator. The exhaust exits the transom angled down into the water. The flange on the exhaust tip is at a 45 degree angle so the tips point down into the water. I run Shotgun mufflers on the tips as well. W/O the Shotguns, my tips would actually only be half underwater at idle. The shotguns extend the tip a little further down plus they divert the exhaust out the bottom at idle.

Some of the older Liberators had the exhaust exiting the sides of the hull near the transom. I always thought they sounded too much like trucks with straight pipes.