Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: anyone use a do it yourself divorce kit? >

OT: anyone use a do it yourself divorce kit?

Notices

OT: anyone use a do it yourself divorce kit?

Old 04-06-2003, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: anyone use a do it yourself divorce kit?

After being together for around 20 years my wife has decided she wants to be single. I didn't want it, but can't do anything about it. I decided to try and get through it as easy as a possible.

I have heard all the horror stories of both sides fighting and becoming enemies and making attorney's rich. I would just as soon save my money for the new boat I'm going to buy so I'm not misrable, and the two of us remain freinds, especially for our kids sake (15, 17 yo).

We have talked and she is willing to try and go this route.

Anyone have any good luck w/ such or horror stories attempting this?? Any input will help.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 04-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I hate to hear that dude. I feel for you. Been there done that-twice!

I would say go for the kit if, and that's a HUGE IF, you can get along. If you have large assets, business interests, or anything like that at stake, I would get an attorney to protect them.

The kits can leave a lot of open doors for later when someone DOES get pissy (It nearly always happens).

I have heard of two people sitting down toether and working out a list of items they want, conditions, visitation, etc, and sharing an attorney, but it's very very rare.

I received some very good advice from someone during my divorce. they said be generous with the material things, but stingy with your time with your children. You can always make back the money. It suck when I wrtie checks every month, but I share time with the kids 50-50, sometimes more!
That is priceless for me.

I hope that helps.

Keep your chin up, we'll see you at LOTO!!!! Savin' a spot in the Playboy for ya right now!!

Plus, my wife has this friend............
Old 04-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Registered

Plus, my wife has this friend....
Thanks John......you da man!! Oh and the ride in the Playboy will be awesome too!!
Old 04-06-2003, 01:45 PM
FWK

A friend of mine and his wife just went throught the same thing and got it over with very quickly. They used a mediator and settled everything very amicably. Though she was seeing some guy. Good Luck, Forrest

Old 04-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Registered

I just loved the "do it yourself divorce kit". It now sits on my shelf between "do it yourself dentistry" and "do it yourself plastic surgery".

Best thing to do with that is TELL her you are using the kit, but have a real lawyer you aren't telling her about. My .02.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:56 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i duno about teh do it yoruself kit but i can say one hting

if you two are seriously 100% getting divorced tell your kids right away. My parents got divorced when i was 16 and they didn;t tell my brother or I until all was final. That REALLY pissed the both of us off. Be honest with them and and dont;bull**** hem and make they are aprised of whats going on.

Sorry to hear about your situation. That sucks.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Sammy

I hate to say it but "Trust No One" . 20 years or not protect yourself. People are not what they seem when it comes to divorce. Good luck, things will get better.

Sam

Old 04-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Registered

Bryan, I'm going through the same thing. Both decided we want to keep the lawyers from getting new boats ( and I want to keep mine). So we will use a single attorney and split the assets. We have no kids so should be easier. Trying to keep this as friendly and painless as possible.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Bryan and Barry,
Sorry to hear of this. I went through some really messy chit last year, and we were not even married. I hope you all are able to figure things out amicably, and be free and clear soon. I am sure glad I found my pot at the end of the rainbow.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Wink

I've used the kit for 38 years - mine was called " Never Get Married" even though I now may be doomed - BH

Quick Reply: OT: anyone use a do it yourself divorce kit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.