Notices

Are all boats cursed ...

Old 04-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are all boats cursed ...

or is it just mine. Woke up this morning and heard something running outside. Listen closely out the back door and it sounds like it's coming from the dock. Go down to the dock and sure enough the boat is humming away.

Open it up and the bilge pump is running. Open the hatch and push down on the float switch to see if it is stuck. Of course it couldn't be something simple like a stuck float switch.

Try pulling the circuit breaker from the panel that runs the bilge pumps. Disables the dash switch for the pumps but of course the float switch circuit isn't on that breaker (since there is no other I have no idea where or if there is a breaker on the float switch circuit).

Try shutting off the battery switches. Of course the float switch circuit isn't routed through the battery switches.

The pump is running but not pumping anything so maybe something is blocking the pick-up hose. Pull the pickup hose up out of the water and shake it a few times to dislodge anthing that could have spread across the intake screen. Of course there is nothing blocking the intake screen.

Turn on the batteries and breaker again and turn on the dash switch for the second pump to empty the bilge so the float will go back down. Of course the second pump runs but doesn't pump any water either.

All this was when I am supposed to be going to work. Now I have to go upstairs and change into some grunge clothes. Then untie the dock float and float it around to the stern to pull the drain plug and drain the bilge (boat is on a lift where it always lives but it takes water in through the engine vents when it rains, which it has been doing a lot of here lately). Finally the humming stops.

Ok, so why did both pumps fail at the same time (one is 1 year old the other is 2 years old). Both of course worked fined when I put it away last year and they seemed ok (hey, they ran, I didn't fill the bilge with water to test them) when I opened up the boat last weekend.

Why did the oil pressure gauge die last fall (read 100 psi and had to low pressure light on at the same time)?

Why did the oil sender fail this spring (read about 20 psi high, but this time the needle did move, and of course the low pressure light was on at the same time)?

Why did the GPS repeater (speedo) suddenly turn into an oscillator and hum but not display anything one day last year (it too of course worked fine literally the day before)?

Have you ever gotten to just go down to the boat, go for a run, and have NOTHING to fix, adjust, pamper, b$tch at when you got back? Are you afraid to invite friends over for a ride for fear that when they get there some stupid thing will have died and you won't be able to go out? Can anone build anything that can actually live on a boat and function like it's supposed to? Is any boat REALLY reliable and dependable enough to be able to count on it running everytime you decide to go for a ride (even my RC sailboat is down with a broken mast)?

Will someone please come and remove this albatross from around my neck?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:26 AM
DJD
Registered

Broken RC SAILBOAT mast???
I think that is the answer to your curse

ps... any boat, new or old, has minor bugs from time to time.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Registered

The RC boat is supposed to be so I can have something to play with when the big boat is dead.

I know it is "common" for boats to always have something wrong, but it shouldn't be. Companies should be able to make parts that will live. We shouldn't accept continual unexplained failures as normal and acceptable. I'm just tired of always having things fail without reason or warning.

I'll accept the trim tab actuator cable breaking after 19 years as "normal". Pumps, guages, switches and all the other little BS failure stuff should have at least 5-10 year lives if they would make them half way descent in the first place.

I'll put my soapbox away for now, I'm sure this thing will give me another reason to get it out soon enough.

-Greg
Old 04-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wellcome to the wonderful world of BOATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Face it - While cars are complete "systems" with everything tightly specified by the auto manufacturer, boats are still "kits", with boat manufacturers using as much standard "off-the-shelf" components as they can. The decision as to which components are used is driven by a number of factors, not the least of which is us (consumers) *****ing about the price. The marine industry as a whole has very crappy customer/warranty service, which is why we all share stories about "good" dealers or workshops.

Don't feel too bad. In 19 years, I've owned five different boats ( all purchased new), and every one of them has had the engine(s) removed, rebuilt, or replaced for some reason.

Since you said that there was water in the bilge, your problem sure sounds like a some sort of air lock or clogged line. (Leaves, maybe?) At least the pumps were doing their job, trying to save the boat....
Old 04-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Registered

Greg;
You are being punished for your impure thoughts. Toy sailboat? JEEEZ Greg.....You should have said something before it got this far!...............Roger
Old 04-08-2003, 10:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by C_Spray

Don't feel too bad. In 19 years, I've owned five different boats ( all purchased new), and every one of them has had the engine(s) removed, rebuilt, or replaced for some reason.

Hey Chuck,
Do you think, maybe, That it's got something to do with the owner?

Craig
Old 04-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Registered

Sounds like the Bermuda Triangle has made shore! I had the outdrive pulled and greased by my boat dealer and I set it in 2 weekends ago for the 1st splash and it won't shift out of neautral, forward or reverse. I assumed it was they just didn't hook up something right. They call me and tell me the cone clutch (OMC King Cobra) is gone and will cost $1200 to fix it! Personally I think they did something to it but I have no proof. I had absolutely no indication last year when I put it up and it worked perfectly that day! I'm pissed!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Registered

It's a hobby, it's a sport, it's a job. Know exactly how you all feel. cb