Notices

Warranty... Heritage

Old 05-09-2005, 11:03 PM
BT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warranty... Heritage

Hey out there in boating land! Anyone currently have a Heritage extended warranty on their boat? Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences to share regarding that warranty. Specifically, do they pay and are they easy to deal with? Looking to add one and was curious how they handled warranty claims for drives and engines etc.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thank you.
DB as BT
Old 05-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Warranty... Heritage

If it's for a Merc product, don't buy anything but the Merc extended warranty. The rest of em suck. The only aftermarket extended warranty that will actually pay for anything is Formulaguard, but it's only available if you buy a Formula. the rest of the aftermarket warranty don't cover anything that actually fails. Say you have a shift cable bellows that fales, they will pay for the bellows(20 bucks) but not the shift cable that it took out with out(200 bucks) according to them corrosion ruined the shift cable and they don't cover that. corrosion did ruin the shift cable but it was cuased by the bellows tearing. Mercury's extended warranty is a little more expensive but it is the only way to go, I have even seen them cover an engine that choved a head gasket cuase the operator got a bag stuck around his drive and the motor overheated due to no raw water flow. They covered that under "customer relations" not warranty but the fact is, they took care of it. Just my opinion hope it gives you something to think about.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:52 PM
BT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that going with a manufacturers warranty would be the best way to go but I am told that here is not such an animal as an extended warranty for the Mercury Racing products. I have twin 525's with XR's on my Black Thunder and am looking for an extended warranty while it is still new.
Ironically, before my Black Thunder I had a 38 Fastech Formula with the Formula Guard and it was a decent warranty. Yeah, they looked at a way to get out of paying when they could (aftermarket company out of Minnesota) but for the most part paid without a problem. I would love to get that same worry free boating out of this one.
As far as your comment on Merc. covering post warranty. I had a lengthy conversation with customer relations and without admitting that they would stand behind it after warranty, they did elude to standing behind their products! I have friend who has had his top end of his 575's, his supercharger, and two drives replaced by Merc. as a customer service deal on his 2001 43 Black Thunder. Thank you for the input.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bleieve they do offer an extended warranty on the 525. That is the biggest thing they will sell it on though.