Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Had a freak crash with the truck...lucky to be here >

Had a freak crash with the truck...lucky to be here

Notices

Had a freak crash with the truck...lucky to be here

Old 04-13-2003, 01:23 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Default Had a freak crash with the truck...lucky to be here

Late Saturday afternoon my wife and I were coming north on I-65 North of Indianapolis. I was doing about 75mph passing a semi carrying two semi tractors on a flatbed. As we came alongside, one of the air deflectors that deflects air over the top of the trailer came off the flatbed and smashed into us. I thought the entire tractor was falling over and i swerved into the median (at 75mph). The deflector stuck to our windshield but came loose as we barreled through the grass and bounced down the side of my truck. I never slowed down and merged back onto the expressway and flagged down the trucker. I can tell you that it sounded like someone dropped a bunker buster on us. The air deflector weighs at least 100 pounds (fiberglass) and DID NOT BREAK. Trucker claims it was strapped down but there were no signs of straps. Heres the damage list:

Front bumper (dented)
Grill (smashed)
Hood (big hole in it like a can opener was used)
Roof damaged
Right side:
Fender
Door
Rear view mirror
Rear door (extended cab)
Quarter panel

Amazingly, my windshield, headlights, antenna and wipers are fine. I don't think we would have escaped unharmed in many other vehicles. The hole in the hood was right in front of my wife. I don't recommend driving off the road at 75mph but the truck stayed composed the whole time. I have some questions maybe some of you truck guys can help with.
1. How difficult is it to get insurance to replace with factory original parts?
2. I had wanted to do a billet grill anyway, probably cheaper than factory to replace. I thought I saw a complete replacement billet, not one you have to cut out the center. Any ideas or suggestions?
3. Same thing with the hood. I was thinking of doing a cowl hood or hood scoop someday. Seems now would be the time. Any suggestions?
4. While I'm at it, are there any better front bumpers out there. Something sporty...mines a 2wd. No tubes for me.

Drive safe,
Chris

Old 04-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of truck is it?

Oh, and glad you and your wife are ok. Sounds like it was a scary ride.

'Foul

Last edited by Waterfoul; 04-13-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Ooppps.

99 Ford F250 Superduty PSD 2WD Extended cab.

Old 04-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Holy Crap! Glad to see that no one was hurt, obviously someone was looking out for you.

As far as the damage (being a former truck driver) the driver will never claim responsibility, for his and the companies benefit. Doesn't mean they aren't responsible and wont take care of you. My advice is to submit to your insurance, they will definetly pursue his. Good luck on the situation.

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 04-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Mr. Demeanor

He actually asked me if I had rental on MY insurance. I explained the error in his thinking.

Old 04-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I posted this over at www.thedieselstop.com Hopefully Ill get some good info there.

Last edited by Mr. Demeanor; 04-13-2003 at 01:34 PM.

Old 04-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Before picture. Ill post after pics later.

Old 04-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

They will do and say some of the craziest things, but you have to understand that most trucking companies have so many claims against them at one time, with many not the fault of the trucker at all, that they try to cover all there bases and weed out those that don't have legitimate claims. Just be persistent and you should come out ahead, most companies atleast the one I worked for, want these things resolved as quick as possible.

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 04-13-2003, 01:59 PM
Mr. Demeanor

PS. Can you guys see that pic. I could and now I cant.

Old 04-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Still there.

Hawaii no ka 'oi

Quick Reply: Had a freak crash with the truck...lucky to be here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.