Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can I add the standard water intake holes to my low water pick up drive?? >

Can I add the standard water intake holes to my low water pick up drive??

Notices

Can I add the standard water intake holes to my low water pick up drive??

Old 04-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can I add the standard water intake holes to my low water pick up drive??

I posted this in the tech board a few days ago and didn't get many replies......so here it is where more people might see it:

Twice last season I filled my motor with sand due to my low water pickup. Once to avoid running over a stupid (although very pretty) young woman on a jet ski at a ramp, and the other putting the bow on the beach in the Grand River in Grand Haven, something I've done a million times without issue.

My question is, if I make a template from a standard drive, can I add a couple of holes to the lower in the standard place? Blend them in a bit with a dremmel to allow smooth flow of water to them..... I have a raised x-dimension, and on my previous drive (which I grenaded several years ago) I filled the top 2 or 3 holes because I didn't want to suck air when trimmed up and running WFO. Never had any issues with water flow with that drive. I would only add probably 3 holes per side, the bottom 3 of course......can this be done? Should this be done? Will it keep the sand from being such an issue? I realize it probably won't stop all of it, but since water takes the path of least resistance, I figure that if the lwp starts to suck sand, the higher ones would allow water to flow instead of just sand.

Thoughts??? Anyone done this???? I would really like to do this if it will help.

'Foul
Old 04-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Nobody has any thoughts??
Old 04-16-2003, 09:59 PM
robsunlimited

Default HOLES

NOT SURE, BUT I SUGGEST CALLING A DRIVE SHOP OR TRY DOING THE MODIFICATION TO A BAD LOWER.
IF THERE IS A WATER PASSAGE IN THAT AREA WHICH I BELIEVE THERE IS THEN THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY PROBLEM.THERE ARE DRIVES WITH BOTH SETS OF HOLES IN THEM.
OR YOU COULD JUST DRILL A HOLE AND SEE IF IT CONNECTS TO A WATER PASSAGE, AND IF IT DOESN'T THEN YOU COULD JUST FILL THE HOLE.

I HONESTLY FEEL THAT THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY PROBLEM. I WOULD TRY IT IF IT WAS ME !!!

Old 04-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Anyone else have any more advice??
Old 04-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike
I would look at housenga's PQ, he said he had LWP and holes on the side. maybe use his for a template.

pm MBAM, I bet he would know