Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   scammed on e-bay need advice!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47904-scammed-e-bay-need-advice.html)

26sonic 04-16-2003 07:17 PM

scammed on e-bay need advice!!!

first time on e-bay and i get scammed out of $1000 along with 6 others!! purchased a set of 2003 dodge ram 20' rims and tires from a person that supposily had 6 sets of these dealer take offs from a dealership in corpus christi . lady that set up e-bay listing assured me this was legit. sent me a confirmation that she recived my western union money order and that rims were shipped last tues ups and would send me tracking number. well did'nt hear from her and sent e-mails to her and left message on her cell phone!! all 6 of us get a e-mail today saying that she can't deliver goods because person that she was dealing with does'nt have goods!!! tells us she will work on getting our money back and be patient!!! what should i do ? have the guys home and cell number and left him a message and e-mail and left the girl a phone message and e-mail and have her home address.
can't believe this dishonesty ?

Pure Energy 04-16-2003 07:27 PM

This type of situation is very serious and has ramifacations as serious as mail fraud. Sorry I have no advice on what to do, but I have heard of others with this problem and action can be taken.

Good luck

jaf302 04-16-2003 07:34 PM

I got stung once on Ebay from a person in Florida, the US Postal Inspector got involved, got all my money back. They frown on mail fraud! Call your Postmaster and find out. Paul

olemissalum 04-16-2003 07:37 PM

I think Square Trade is the arbiter of eBay disputes and fraud. Should be a link to it on eBay. Good luck getting your money back. I have had great luck on eBay but have several friends that have gotten screwed also!!!

CAP071 04-16-2003 08:31 PM

Ok I guess I have to blow my cover here :D

I am a Postmaster here for the US Postal Service.
call your local post office and tell them you need the number to the Postal Inspectors for mail fraud they will take all the info from you. make sure you tell them you mailed this person the money order. Have all of her info with you as well.

I'm not sure if it will help you may get the run around call
1-800-ask-usps. If you want I will talk to my friend who is an Inspector and ask what can be done.

mpally 04-16-2003 09:04 PM

Notify Ebay on the happenings right away. They will investigate the situation and they may refund your money. There is a section on the homepage that you can click on to report situations like this.

Semper Fi 04-16-2003 10:57 PM

Checking on Ebay is a good idea. When you (anyone) signs up on Ebay to sell stuff, I am pretty sure you have to leave your credit card info. I would check that out and burn that scumbag. I wouldn't doubt that the lady you were talking with had something to do with it.
Good Luck

Ron P 04-16-2003 11:47 PM

Taking money and not delivering the goods=jail time.

Contact the person and demand your money back. Use the word FRAUD many times in your conversation. Give them one day to over night your money back and then go balls to the wall.

boot 04-17-2003 12:06 AM

Ebay is not very helpful . They told me" they do not police the site . they just provide a place for us to do our trading and it is up to us to work it out . " Your thing is much more serious though and I am sure they will do something . I like the post master thing !!:D

I just got this e-mail from ebay about how they are modifying their user agreement page to make things more secure .
Click here to see it :

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/uarevision3-faq.html

BattleCry 04-17-2003 02:18 AM

I agree with Ron P. EXCESSIVE USE of the word FRAUD! And FRAUD across state lines. Serious offenses.

CAP071 04-17-2003 05:56 AM

How long has it been since you sent the money?

Have a friend call her in a serious voice an act like an investigator or lawyer! :D I waited 4 months 1 time to get my money back

Offshore Addiction 04-17-2003 06:28 AM

battlecry is right,since they made the deal with you while you were in your homestate you can go to your local courthouse and file a fraud case on the said persons and also include a supena for the lady involed,and get the postmaster involved as well as to include that paperwork in your case......if its over 350. dollars it should become a felony,and commiting a felony across state lines is also another felony offense, and when you win the state attorney should pick up charges on the people involved....but thats just my oppinion!!!!!!!!!

Helmwurst 04-17-2003 08:56 AM

Ebay Fraud

Very common tatic by hackers to use Western Union. I will bet your money is in a foreign contry by now. Say bye-bye. Ebay is not going to do squat. Call the FBI, you can file a fraud claim. What these guys do is hack into a known good account.... Like mine. Then they use your account as a front to sell "stuff" at fair prices. Problem is, they do not have the stuff, and they act like you are their number one customer until they get the wire from W.U. After they pick up the wire, they are gone. They use differnet mailing addresses to keep away from the cops or the W.U. investigators. Oh yea, one more thing, they send out UPS or simular tracking numbers, but they never drop off the merchandise to ship.

I have said this before and I will say it again. If you do not have personal contact with the person you are buying or selling to, don't do the deal. At least if you talk to them on the phone you can trace their phone number for identification.

JUSTONCE 04-17-2003 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd put some of the boys together and take a little trip.!!

BRUCE SEROFF 04-17-2003 09:27 AM

Some one say Field Trip?????Can I come???

R Addiction 04-17-2003 09:45 AM

CAP071, What Post Office are you at? Have friends and family in a few.:D

CAP071 04-17-2003 09:59 AM

I work in the Philadelphia District where are you friends and family ?

ROAD TRIP! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
LETS DO IT!

YOU CAN DOOOOOOOOO IT!

was thinking of naming my boat "WET EXPRESS":D

Ron P 04-17-2003 10:05 AM

Sonic 26, what is your progress.

Cord 04-17-2003 10:30 AM

I'd file a lawsuit against the lady that set up the auction. She was representing the product and should have verified the validity. I'd get this filed immediatly. If the postmaster is able to get things to work for you, then fine. If that doesn't pan out, then you still have another course of action in the works. Besides, being served tends to get peoples attention. Especially when it's out of state. As for Ebay, well, we all know that it's a haven for criminals and that Ebay really doesn't care.

searace 04-17-2003 10:35 AM

There is very little you can do. The police are overwelmed with complaints like these and dont have the resources to deal with all the cases. The FBI will not get involved. The only thing you can do is contact the uspo, and if the transaction is over 300$, and you conducted business through the us mail, they can investigate. EBAY is quick to warn against long distance transactions involving large sums of $

Biggus 04-17-2003 10:44 AM

I`ve had hundreds of transactions through ebay and hardly ever a problem. One bit of advice for a newcomer to ebay is to make sure to check the feedback rating if the seller before you bid.

Situations like this really really shed a negative light on ebay but definately is not a haven for criminals.

Sorry to see that you got burned.

Kurt.

wannabe 04-17-2003 10:53 AM

26 Sonic

Your beef is with the lady who set up the auction. She has to make good and I would threaten to send the Post Office after her.

The third party scam is rampant on e-bay, though they will not admit it.

Good Luck

Wannabe

HPChick 04-18-2003 08:44 PM

What a drag. I agree with MrOffshore - use PayPal from now on and only send payments to Paypal people who have verified accounts. It sucks that there are these dishonest people out there selling on ebay - it makes it tougher for the rest of us being honest and just trying to make a living. Sorry for all the headaches this person is putting you through, I hope you nail her!

mcollinstn 04-18-2003 11:42 PM

ebay does have a fraud division and I have used it several times to report offenses on both bidders on my auctions that illegally retracted bids and also ones that never delivered merch. They all got bumped from Ebay. So far, I'm out about $40 on all my ebay stuff and with the zillion incredible deals that have worked I guess it ain't bad at all.

enticer 04-19-2003 05:38 AM

Paypal is now owned by E-bay and is no better than e-bay. They will not do anything for you, either one. But you should always us e a credit card. If the deal says no credit card........you can just about count on it being a scam.

mcollinstn 04-20-2003 08:27 PM

Some sellers will allow you to use a credit card if YOU pay the additional transaction fee (around 3%).

26sonic 04-21-2003 04:47 AM

i live in up state ny , how do i get in touch with the u.s. postal inpector? and how do i lodge a complaint on e-bay? seller is supposily going to contact me today about returning my money ???

Cord 04-21-2003 08:05 AM

Stop by your post office. They'll have the paperwork.

doright 04-21-2003 10:37 AM

What you do to avoid getting screwed is: Go on OSO and ask one of yer good buddies who live in the seller's area to actually eyeball the merch before ya pays for it.

Fine Columbian hemp for sale. $300/key. Western union only. Also, please include bank account number and PIN.
Of course we're on the level.

26sonic 04-24-2003 06:59 PM

thanks to everyone for their advice , finally with using some threatining tactics my money showed up today!!!

liquid asset 04-24-2003 09:07 PM

What was the user id of who screwed you, the same thing happened to me last week, on a set of 24's for my navigator, and I got emails from ebay garranteing him through western union up to 10,000 little did I know those emails were fraud and from him, so I was replying questioning his credibility and he was answering for himself, if I find out who he is , I've got something for him

TheDingy 04-25-2003 02:39 PM

Yes... and some flucking boat broker

Just a FYI, I don't know if my friend wants it disclosed yet, but I am jund drunk enough that it doesn't matter. A broker on here that posted a boat scamed a OSO member out of almost $5,000 the little flucker happened to post on this message, so figure it out. I think my friend is going to call him out, but wait until the attorney sees if he can sue the client and the broker first.

TD