Notices

Raffting off(need advice)

Old 04-20-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Raffting off(need advice)

Anyone ever use the round orange buyoncy ball for raffting off. I was told this was a better application then the standard fenders,and the fenders are better for the docks anyway.I know their lighter and have the circumference of the bigger fenders at 1/4 of the size.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:52 AM
Registered

I had a guy tie to me last year with one and it rolled around everywhere and made a ton of noise and left marks on my boat, they came off but it still sucked.

This is what I do.First always try to raft to a boat that is the same basic size and shape. I use 10 and 12 inch round and anywhere from 24 to 34 long bumper's and I have the cover's on them so they don't make noise. Some people have told me they scat ch the paint but I have been using them on three boats and have never seen any scratches. Tie as tight as you can in the rear and just snug in the front, it seem's the bow's never go up and down the same speed. I have a friend that has the flat fender's that tie's to me, the boat's are a lot closer than I like but they never hit or need to be adjusted like round one's do some time's.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
I have a friend that has the flat fender's that tie's to me, the boat's are a lot closer than I like but they never hit or need to be adjusted like round one's do some time's.
BillR bought some flat (rafting) fenders a couple of years ago. After seeing how good they worked I bought a couple for my boat. They are pricey, but worth it. I use them at the stern as they stay put and do not scratch the paint. I have two round ones for use forward.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for Bumbers scratching a boat, I think it depends on the make and age of them. I have seen some of the larger ones scratch a boat, but they were either weathered or made from really hard rubber?? Also had some blue colored ones leave a mark, it wiped off though.

Needless to say when I raft up, I pull all the bumpers out usually 4 on each side. The 1 min it takes to put them out is worth not having any accidental bumps or bangs.

Will
Old 04-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Yeah, I'd expect that the "balls" would allow the boats to move up and down too much in relation to each other. I've only used the conventional "cylinder" bumpers (I know they're supposed to be called fenders, but I call them bumpers, sorry).

I put 2 cylinder bumpers near the stern (first one within 2 feet of the stern and another a few feet forward of it). I pull the sterns VERY tight against each other. I then bring the noses closer but not nearly as tight (for reasons already mentioned) and use a line from bow cleats, not windshield-area cleats. I have two more bumpers out more towards the front and do loose-line the cleats near the windshield.

Vinyl marks come right off - if the water's rough and you're not getting any then you aren't tying off tight enough.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know there ae tons of places, but what is the best place to buy fenders and covers?
I am also thinking about a fender rack in the engine compartment, but I cant hardly stand the thought of it.
Maybe I should make or buy a cool aluminum box for them or something. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

I am making a rack out of some starboard, It's going to look good and will come out easy if I need to remove it to get a motor out or something. I just wait until West Marine puts them on sale. I am going to pick up a few of the flat one's, give them a try.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:49 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Tie the stern down first and TIGHT then pull in and tie the bow. Prevents a lot of movement between boats. But first and foremost, whatever shaped bumpers you decide to go with, get the SOFT pliable rubber types versus the cheap rigid plastic ones you find in K-mart. They'll scuff the boats all to hell...
Old 04-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Organdonor

Default Round Buoys

Click Here

Old 04-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Check these out:

http://www.gripster.com/

They look like a good idea but I don't know how well they work. I'd like to give them a try but at $250 a pair I'm a little reluctant. I sure would like to see them in action first. Anybody out there use them?

Quick Reply: Raffting off(need advice)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.