Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT virus (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/48151-ot-virus.html)

Cord 04-20-2003 09:20 AM

OT virus

Somewhere, somehow I got a virus into my computer. This little bug gives me some pop ups that are meant to look like a notice. People in the past have posted some links for a program that will scan and get rid of these little devels. Could you guys post that link again for me?

Wardey 04-20-2003 09:35 AM

I use Ad Aware. It will scan your computer and get rid of any spy ware or etc... Wardey

www.lavasoft.nu

CAP071 04-20-2003 09:40 AM

What have you been downloading ? Don't you have an ANTI virus program?

SHARKEY-IMAGES 04-20-2003 10:39 AM

This might work:
SpyBot

wwwTOPDJcom 04-20-2003 10:40 AM

Wardey said it right, you should have either Mcafee or Norton installed and fully updated, I use both on different computers and they both work fine. But what you have is
not a virus its ads that run when they feel like it.
They embedded themselves in your registry and programs directory
Most people
find them coming up when on OSO which has NO pops ups.
download Ad ware and run a full scan delete files
then if you have No virus protection I suggest you get one.
I download so much stuff that I have to or I would have gotten
nailed several times a year.

Cord 04-20-2003 11:32 AM

Yea, the mrs has been bugging me to get a anti-virus program. Just another thing that I just havn't gotten around to doing....

Wardey 04-20-2003 06:57 PM

I use Norton, Ad-Aware, and Pop-Up Stopper. They are a must anymore. Wardey

gdfatha 04-20-2003 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
POP UPs are NOT necessarily a VIRUS.

I have Norton anti virus and it did not stop any POP-UPs. I receiving about official alert looking pop-ups at least 10 times a day.
I got the free version of AD Aware and it blocked some of the POP UPS but not all.

Recently AOL (my ISP) came out with an upgrade (8.0 Plus) with a POP-UP blocker. I haven't had a pop up since. I also understand that Earthlink has the same type pop up killer as AOL and my buddy never gets pop ups either.

Just adding my recent experience. Here is a sample of the PRE= AOL 8.0 Plus POP UP
that I used to get. As you can see it even stayed on the screen even when I went to my desk top. Ad AWARE did not stop it.

David 04-20-2003 09:01 PM

Microsoft Messenger Service is another "tool" being used to annoy anyone connected to the internet. gdfatha's pop-up's (screen shot) are coming thru there. Disable the messenger service to reduce pop-up's as well as use Pop Up Stopper, and Ad-Aware. Oh yeah- get some A-V software. I still get infected email every so often.

Cord 04-21-2003 07:52 AM

Well, I downloaded the adware. It found a couple of programs which I deleted. It has not affected the popups. I tried to download spybot, but it apparently is not compatable with adware. I do have AOL 8.0 with the popups blocked. It worked wonders on AOL's own popups. The funny thing is what a popup was about. They were trying to sell me a popup blocker program. Yes, for $30 we'll sell you a program that will block our annoying popups! Morons. :rolleyes: