Flushing a 300x Promax O/B >

Flushing a 300x Promax O/B

Notices

Flushing a 300x Promax O/B

Old 05-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Flushing a 300x Promax O/B

What type of flush kit is needed when flushing with Sportmaster lowers? I don`t see where the muffs would apply. Also,Do I use the prop locks by Mcguard or remove the props after use.I`m trying to keep the prep time and lists of things to bring to a minimum. First time with the O/B set-up..I always used the prop lock and drive lock on the Donzi,but I`m curious if it`s a false sence of security.I have alot more $$$$$ invested on this boat and the insurance is not even an option for a claim.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Registered

To freshwater flush a sportmaster gearcase, you need a nose cone flusher, There are many for sale in most of the Hi Po mags, I always use the ones that you can get from a Merc. Hi po dealer. Make sure you do this with the prop off the gear case, it is much safer this way. I always pull the props, wash them off with soap and water, and then coat with CRC 666 or another marine Prod. After you are done running the fresh water, shut down, and grease the prop shaft , cover the shaft with one of the plastic shaft covers, Merc, dealer supplied,

Philip
Old 05-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Jeff

wow those motors should last for years with that care. My twin Merc 200's on my center console have 1060 hrs on them and have only flushed them when I take boat off lift to trailer. When pleasure boating becomes work for 2 hours after boating (like my race boats) I'm getting rid of the damn thing. My Merc guy says these motors must be blessed.

Old 05-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Registered

Speed2Lead,
The Merc flush kit is about $80.00. I just went with the flush kit that BOB's Machine shop sells for 25.00. It works well on mine but I have the Bobs nose cones and not the sportmasters. Check with them but I am pretty sure it will work.
http://www.bobsmachine.com

As far as the props. I have MCGuards too. I leave them on sometimes and sometimes I take them off and grease the shafts. Just try to keep the boat in a safe place. I don't know if you know this (I didn't) but sometimes your cowlings are worth more than your props. Mine are 1200 props and the cowlings on these things go for 1800 new at merc. Just check http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=50636
I lost one. They are a hot item too as alot of the guys with the older style motors are looking for the "alien" cowlings..

Hope this helps....