Anyone ever own a Hydrostream? >

Anyone ever own a Hydrostream?

Notices

Anyone ever own a Hydrostream?

Old 05-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever own a Hydrostream?

I may have the opportunity to pick up a 14 1/2 foot 1989(?) Hydrostream for essentially nothing. It's got a big ol' outboard on it, probably a Johnson from what I can tell.

I'm thinking it might make an interesting toy to tinker with/learn to do glass, etc on - worth it? The boat is being auctioned by one of these 'car donation' places near my house, and the minimum bid is $50. I figured if I got it for $50, I could always just donate it back if I got tired of it....

Whaddya think?

Old 05-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Registered

Looks like an old Chrysler or Force motor.
Dont forget to bring a jack and tire.
I would take it for $50.
Gary
Old 05-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Just Say N2O

During this time frame, Hydrostream made very fast, light boats that tended to blow over very easily. Had a very narrow pad that helped it be so fast. Dual steering is a must, or you will chine-walk yourself to dissaster.

A major rush to drive into the high 70s/low 80s.

Old 05-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

go to www.screamandfly.com the guys over there will tell you everything you need to know about that boat.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:43 PM
riskybusiness

Thumbs up

Very familiar with Hydrostream---really fast, exciting, and dangerous boats (depending on power).

That is definitely a Chrysler or Force OB on that one--probably 80HP or so. It oughta haul ass, with the right prop (good for 60+ MPH or more, anyway, which will be a handful in that little rig)

I rigged a 175 Merc EFI on an 18' Hydrostream Viking and it was good for 80 MPH.

'Woulda been much faster if I had installed solid mounts, foot throttle, trim buttons on the wheel, etc.

Without all the above, it took some real practice and skill to "steer" out the chine walk . Without steering it out, the chine walk would get so violent, it would certainly flip, although I never did (thank God).

I had an absolute blast in the boat, although it was only good for virtually flat-ass-calm water. Anything more than a little chop, and you just beat the living crap out of yourself and any passengers.

The little 14 footer you're looking at would be a blast of a toy, but just that---only really good for fun little blasts around the lake when its calm---they were designed for calm water only, unlike Sharkey's little v-hull, which, as he has proven can handle the rough stuff.

The pad on the hydrostreams eliminates any rough stuff capability.

Tell you what---if you get it and don't want it, maybe we could work somethin' out---it would be a fun little boat!

Old 05-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Jeff

I had that exact boat, mine was a 17ftr. they called that the Vector I think. I had a 1985 with a 225 Merc, then later a 2.4. Those things are wicked fast...... be careful I have almost went over a couple of times( from wind gusts), foot throttle is manditory and trim and jack buttons on the wheel also. Looking for pictures. If you can run that boat at 95mph plus you can run anything.

Old 05-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Registered

We'll see if anything happens - looks like I probably won't be able to make it to the auction tomorrow, and they say they either junk what doesnt' sell or keep it for the next go around.

It's Volunteers of America, if anyone is interested - here's their website: http://www.voaautoauction.com/
Old 05-02-2003, 02:30 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How fast can it be????

It doesn't have steps.

T2x
Old 05-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Registered

T2x, I think there's step in the skeg on the outboard, and that's about the only thing in the water when this thing is runnin'
Old 05-02-2003, 03:31 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by dockrocker
T2x, I think there's step in the skeg on the outboard, and that's about the only thing in the water when this thing is runnin'
That would be true........ Except for the Chrysler/Forceps motor on the transom..........

T2x

Quick Reply: Anyone ever own a Hydrostream?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.