Notices

Oh My Gawd!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh My Gawd!!!!!!!

The guy came to pick the boat up at 9a.m. this morning and i just got home from helping him.......or should I say.....helping myself.

He calls me and say the I need to look at something.Oh great what now!...But I'm calm.
The motor is free and the only thing that is holding it is the rear motor mounts.....Simple right?.......WRONG......I already cut the heads off the tops.Still won't come out.So I say to him"when I have a something that won't fit or is stuck i just lick it and it goes right in!" He laughs......

Anyways.....we end up busting the Bellhousing ears off to get the motor out.Finally it comes out.In all her glory....one 350 chebby sitting on the transom....Now the hard part.

Those bolts should just hammer right out.....WRONG!They ain't goin anywhere.I'm still calm.He tells me to have at it since I am there already.

Now remember...Two bolts and two nuts on the transom assembly motor mount ears.I **** you not I spent the last 6 HOURS grinding them down,drilling them hollow and finally punching them out!!!!!!!!

To his surprise....he says..."Well I guess you are a little tenaciuos."........To that I reply....."well licking it didn't work so I had to open the hole up a little more"......He tells me "How the hell do you keep your patience?".....I say "easy....You should have met my Ex!"...."Everything is walk in the park compared to dealing with HER!"
Old 04-22-2003, 02:24 PM

You mean that at one time you were married to my ex wife?????
Old 04-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Allan4

Ahhhhhh.....persistence. I have some frozen bolts up here I would like you to work on when you get the time......

Old 04-23-2003, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't done anything easy or fun when it comes to working on my boats ever.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like SALT corrosion. Ugh.

A product called KROIL and an air chisel with a snub bit works wonders on frozen parts, but SALT corrosion between dissimilar metals is NASTY stuff.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:10 AM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

I'd love to blame it salt corrosion but that's not it.Nothing is rusted.I beleive disimilar metals are to blame.Even after grinding the locating tabs on the transom mounts.It still needed some seriuos motivation!.The heat of the grinder and the impact of the hammer finally did it.Remember here I was trying to take out a Stainless Bolt from an Aluminum housing.Scary at least!

But good news.......very good news.......The Transom appears to be completely DRY!.....all the visible wood and Glass are perfect!The stringers look wonderful and the only thing that got my attention were a few spots of rust on the oil pan!I think I will just grease the pan up real good before it goes in.

The gimbal bearing was toast...but came out nicely.....as did the coupler.I wish I could post pics of the drive couple splines.....There are NONE!.....completely stripped.The bellhousing is a perfect match....as are the mounts that FORMULA31 gave me.They all work just like new.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:18 AM
Allan4

I remember you haveing a problem like this a few years ago with the rear motor mount bolts....was that you?

Old 04-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Registered

Nope not me you dope.....