Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Removing Skeg on Drive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/48388-removing-skeg-drive.html)

BAJA WILL 04-23-2003 10:19 AM

Removing Skeg on Drive

I read on another thread that, on a triple set up the Mfg had removed the Skeg from the bottom of the middle drive to reduce drag.

Just a thought but what if some one was to do this on a twin set up or even a single? I am sure it would reduce drag but, how much control would you loose?? Verse speed increase??Or has anyone done this??

WILL:rolleyes:

Shane 04-23-2003 10:38 AM

Will,

On a twin application removal of the skeg will result in significant loss of control. On triple set-ups the need for the additional skeg is minimized because the two out skegs an do the work just fine. Additionally, the forces placed on the center drive or exorbanent and can lead to premature drive fatigue.

dhlaw 04-23-2003 10:42 AM

There is a 47 Outerlimits floating around with triples and the center skeg is ground off. Check www.irggroup.com to place a bid on this repo boat.

LapseofReason 04-23-2003 10:43 AM

I'am pretty sure if you remove it on a single you will die or be hurt .

searace 04-23-2003 12:15 PM

Lapse... LMAO..

Removing the skeg/ rudder/ vertical plane will

1. significantly reduce steerage, especially when coasting off plane.

2. reduce the water tracking which is what makes a propeller effecient. In other words, the more perpendicular certain props are to the flow of water that runs through them, the more effecient they are....

wannabe 04-23-2003 12:19 PM

Tag Police=Skeg Police

The govenment agents that used to arrest you for ripping the tags off of mattresses and pillows are now areesting unsuspecting boaters for grinding of skegs.

Remember, if the skeg fits... don't wear it down.

:crazy:

Wannabe

Shah Mat 04-23-2003 12:22 PM

I drove a 19' bow rider with no skeg....once.....steered great, didn't notice a thing until.......a turn on plane. Felt like the rear tires of a car hitting ice....

BAJA WILL 04-23-2003 12:26 PM

Shah Mat:D I knew their had to be someone who had driven a boat with no Skeg:D

Will

OBNOXUS21 04-23-2003 01:21 PM

One very reputable racer told me I could take them off my twin engine set up and gain a couple mph in the process, but handling wouldn't be great, so I didn't do it!
Makes sense on a triple set up though.

neu-rich 04-23-2003 03:05 PM

I Have Seen People Drive Up A Boat Ramp And Loose There Skeg........... Control??? They Sure Hit The Brake When They Figure Out What The Noise Is..............

R Addiction 04-23-2003 09:37 PM

That's always funny to watch.......then they try to back it back to the water and it lifts the boat off the trailer...........DOH!!!!!:eek:

shifter 04-24-2003 12:07 AM

Cutting the skeg off is not a good thing. The housing has stresses in it when it is made. If you cut it off and grind it flush, the case will destort. That will lead to premature gear failure.
Leave it alone because as you enter a corner you hike one skeg out and all your stress and weight is hanging on other skeg.
pat W

dougB 04-24-2003 12:53 AM

skeg removal/

the best thing to do is make sure the sheg or skegs are nice and straight also thin the skeg out (some) and make sure the skegs have nice thin (round) edges not blunt or sharp as they will nick easily,a nice radius is the best to keep the flow of water STREAMLINE. They are also there to (some what) to protect the prop. Darin

dougB 04-24-2003 01:00 AM

what happend here

I replied and it posted as a logged in user as doug B//////////////////???????????????? DARIN AT HOUSTON PROP ?

LapseofReason 04-24-2003 08:33 AM

All the ones I have seen removed on tripp. or quad set ups leave about a 1/2 inch rib in the bottom so the case is still strong. I would not grind it flush because if you wanted to weld it back on for some reason it's a lot easyer to if you leave the rib.