Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Okay something else.....ARGHHHH >

Okay something else.....ARGHHHH

Notices

Okay something else.....ARGHHHH

Old 04-25-2003, 11:16 AM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay something else.....ARGHHHH

Okay all runs good and fine......The drive is making noise.

I'm thinking it is out of adjustment ......It goes in gear and out of gear.....forward and reverse.

At idle it's quiet.Rev it up a bit to say 2K and it starts a noise like when it is going into gear but steady.Gets louder with more throttle.It does this in and out of gear.Both Forward and reverse.

Definitly in the lower part of the drive.

The drive was removed but stayed together.The mechanic put new oil in it.The old looked new when I drained it a few months ago.Not all of it was drained but most of it.I did notice that his oil was more white than the green stuff I used.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Registered

Sounds like it may be the shifter cable is not adjusted correctly they will make simular sounds when not in gear all the way.....anybody else have an idea?...Fred
Old 04-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Registered

Yeah, I got an idea. Go down to the local Cigarette dealer and order that 38 Top Gun you've been drooling over in the magazine!
Old 04-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Very funny smart arse........

Anyways.....the rain stopped and I thought I would take one more looksie......this is what I found.....

The shift lever on the dash is dead neutral.....the shift arm on the top of the lower part fo the drive is about 10 o'clock if you are looking at the back of the transom.It's pointing to the left.

HUh?.......shouldn't it be in the middle?
Old 04-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Shift cable adjustment!!!
Old 04-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Registered

Neutral is correct off to one side. Forward or reverse (can't remember which) is straight ahead. Drive is normally removed with it in gear (straight ahead). But it does sound like the cable adjustment may be off.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Registered

Is it an Alpha? Had to replace the cable on my old Sea Ray last year. There are two cables on this drive....one to the transom and one through the transom. it is the one through the transom that the seal fails then the cable goes. Also had to rplace the gimbal ring on mine. Along with the bellows, trim indicator, and the input yoke on the drive. Boat had 500hrs in fresh water. Cost was 1500.00 at dealer.
Good Luck