Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I go under the "gun" on Monday for this dang kidney stone. >

I go under the "gun" on Monday for this dang kidney stone.

Notices

I go under the "gun" on Monday for this dang kidney stone.

Old 04-30-2003, 03:55 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I go under the "gun" on Monday for this dang kidney stone.

Finally, I am going to get some relief. After nearly 8 weeks of every other day pain I can't stand it anymore. X-ray today showed it to be 12mm x 9 mm in size, making it nearly impossible to pass. Procedure is called Lithotripsy, shock waves are used to break up the stone allowing the sand to pass naturally. I honestly can't wait!! Sounds funny I know, but I'm so sick and tired of being sick and tired that a day or two off work will be welcomed.

Anyone ever had this procedure done? What can I expect? Dr. gave me a recipe of "this could happen" kind of things, but I'd like to hear it from someone who's been thru it.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, never had a kidney stone and hope i never do. Like you, I would be glad that they are trying something to get rid of the damn thing.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2003, 05:04 PM
Banned

I've had lithotripsy twice. It was tougher ten years ago when I first had it, the last was about three years ago. It is a miracle cure, in at 8am, home by noon. The only bad thing is when they take the stent out. Now understand, this is a couple weeks after the lithotripsy. The stent keeps the urinary tract open at the bottom of the kidney and the top of the bladder to insure that pieces of the stone don't lodge there. Go into the doctor's office, get nekkid and lay on the gurney. They put a paper sheet over you with a hole for them to get ahold of Spike. Then they take about a three foot piece of pvc like hose and thread it up old Spike!!! The first time I had it, it wasn't flexible tubing, it was like a three eighths peice of copper tubing. The is a camera at the end of the tube and a set of grippers kind of like a mechanical finger. He will be looking in the camera, and when he get's ahold of the stent, he pulls back on the mechanical finger which is inside the tube. You'll think he's trying to start a 40 horse Merc. IF you're lucky, he'll get it the first time, if not, you get to start all over. Oh yeah, I left out the part where he said "you may feel some discomfort as I push it past the sphincter" YA THINK SO???????!!!!!!! I wanted to come off the table with a bionic elbow on his ass! Oh yeah, he missed the first time too.

In summation, the lithotripsy itself is no worse than a haircut, but getting that stent is problematic at best.

The first time I had absolutely no pain afterward........none at all. The second time I had just a very little discomfort, nothing aspirin wouldn't take a care of, but cry for Percosettes anyway.

The first time they told be there was a 50% chance of me redeveloping stones within 5 years, well extrapolate that out to ten years, and they were right on the money.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:37 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

The Dr. doesn't think a stint will be necessary in my case. I hope not after reading that!!!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Registered

I hope ya get better soon Foul!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Mike-
Chris has been through the lithotripsy- no worries at all with this procedure other than it can make your body a little sore and tired overall, similar to a hard workout at the gym.
A VERY small price to pay for the relief of getting rid of that thing!
She has been stone-free since;- she drinks a great deal of water to prevent them coming back, and that seems to be working.
Good Luck- you will feel SO much better!!!
Jim
Old 04-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Hope you feel better soon. The Doc will always tell you the worst case to cover themselfs.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

GOD DAMN CUDA!!!!! MY "SPIKE" hurts like hell now!!!!!! Foul hope it goes well man. Keep us posted.

Jon
Old 04-30-2003, 06:01 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Foul hope you feel better soon.... After 8 weeks im sure you will be happy when that baby comes out...
Old 04-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Talking

Mike- forgot one thing.......
Schedule yourself in for a real good enema and colonic the following day. Then you can truly say you're off to a 'fresh start'.

Quick Reply: I go under the "gun" on Monday for this dang kidney stone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.