Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   going from single to twins (rant . . sort of) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49135-going-single-twins-rant-sort.html)

glassdave 05-04-2003 08:25 AM

going from single to twins (rant . . sort of)

This last fall i sold my 24 Mirage and picked up my first boat with twins. Shes a 26 foot scorpion in great shape but needing just a little "personalizing". While having two engines has always been apealing it has brought forth some unexpected consequences. My hats off to the marine engineers for placing the engines in the exact location and for knowing the precise length of my arm so that any part or tool droped in between them can only be touched by the tip of my finger but not actually moved or picked up. Now i have no difinitive proof but there may also be a small "black hole" (possibly developed at lake X) down there that tools can only enter but not escape from. I'm also convinced that the 24 degree deadrise has nothing to do with performance but aids in funneling items to this location. . . . oh, and lets not forget to mention the sheer joy and sense of acomplishment one feels after completing a series of tasks on one engine only to have to do it all over again. Having to buy two of everything is an added bonus. Sure cant wait for this summer so that i can use twice as much gas as last year too.Damn. . i havent even had this thing in the water yet. . so in my best Sam Kinision voice . . .oh . .ohhhhhhhhh!!!!

Well . . i'm off to Sears to replace my missing tools and apon my arival at the boat today i will sit on the swim platform and throw them all into the bilge for the sake of time. I sure wish my friends knew what i (we) went through so that THEY could have fun.:rolleyes: . . maybe i should just find somebody to kick me in the nads (twice) and take all my money, that would be even easier and yet have the same results.

by the way . . .all this will be forgoten when the sticks go down for the first time. :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Von Bongo 05-04-2003 09:13 AM

Re: going from single to twins (rant . . sort of)

LMAO

BadDog 05-04-2003 09:23 AM

I hear ya brother! I have a huge black hole to. Home Depot has a 20 or 30 pound magnet on a stick for picking up nails etc. No , you can't reach down into the bilge with it but you can go under the boat and move it around and try to reposition the tool to where you can reach it. Has worked for me several times.

HyperBaja 05-04-2003 09:26 AM

Why not go get a magnet on a string?

formula31 05-04-2003 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Build yourself an overhead hoist of some sort that is easy to put up and use. You will find out that pulling a motor gets easier and easier over time and its much easier to do things with one out than trying to stuggle between or under them. I have to pull a motor to get at plugs! Hope to see ya at Kelleys this summer some time. I would be completely screwed without one of these grabbers from Blue Point Tools. Buy 2 so you can pick up the one you drop in the bilge LOL.

glassdave 05-04-2003 12:20 PM

i'm thinking that as my bilge fills up with tools an parts an stuff i should be able to reach the stuff on top. it'll be like one of those archade crane games with the claw an it will be a suprise everytime i pull somthing out :D

formula31- i will buy a case of those. i will also be sure to post when i head out to the islands as i could use some direction. most of my previous trips out there have been as a pasenger an i was to busy drinking to pay attention. usually we went to the bay but it seems alot of people are doing kellys these days. i havent been ther in about 8 years or so. how does it compare to put-in-bay? :cool: :cool: :cool:

fever- i hear ya :D hang everything off the back in the open. course those things are like working on the space schuttle :rolleyes: but than again they almost never brake down

florida gator 05-04-2003 12:26 PM

LMAO

florida gator 05-04-2003 12:28 PM

oh yeah, twice as hard as usual.

mopower 05-04-2003 12:34 PM

Re: going from single to twins (rant . . sort of)

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by glassdave

by the way . . .all this will be forgoten when the sticks go down for the first time. :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Glassdave , I couldn't have said it better:D

Just finished installing my new twins and cleaning the bilge...well I already have 2 PLASTIC hose nipples for crankcases vents and numerous STAINLESS nuts , bolts , and washers in the bilge again. None of which can be retreived by a magnet and mines so tight you can't see them to get them with mechanical fingers:(

Madcow 05-04-2003 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gee Dave, Your breaking my heart. You should have MY problems.