Notices

Registration required?

Old 05-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What started this thread?? and OSO thread???
Old 05-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

It's gone now, but one of the board god's had posted a thread on the topic. It basically said that they were now requiring a lurker to register as a member to view the board. Not post, but to view.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Registered

Not good. Please reconsider. I lurked for a while untill I got tired of Cashbrains constant hounding! I think this was a bad move and counter productive for the site.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

As the member with the 2nd most posts, and at LEAST a half dozen members that I have recruited to this site (recruited??...yeah that's the way I see it!!) I have to agree with Cord. Let em lurk, what POSSIBLE harm could it do? The lurkers may even be doing business with the sponsors because of stumbling onto or being refered to this site.

I will say I lurked for....oh, about 10 minutes before joining!!

'Foul
Old 05-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Registered

Cord, What did you mean by this comment in your original thread:

"It's amazing how one member can change things. " ?

I agree that for this forum to continue to grow, people need to be able to look at the threads free of charge and without registering. I, like many of you, lurked for a couple of months before registering. And that was only because I wanted to post

Entice them in with the great conversation and information value that the forum provides, but do not let them participate until they register. I like the model, and it appears to have worked for some time now.

You stop people from even being able to see the site, and you take away the draw, the hook, the catch and more than likely the number of new members will decline over time.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by h2owarrior
Cord, What did you mean by this comment in your original thread:

"It's amazing how one member can change things. " ?

A member by the name of "newspeed" came on the board and tried to take it over by posting. He'd post a new thread every minute. That's how the need to register and provide your e-mail address came about.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Registered

and did all of the reigning post whores ban to gether to protect their status???

OK, but what was the reason to require registration to view, bandwith??
Old 05-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I don't know why the chose to require registration. I also don't know if it's still in effect. Maybe one of the board gods could enlighten us?
Old 05-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Steve
Ya screwed me up...I cant register from work for some reason, but at least I used to be able to read. Now I cant and my puter at home is too damn slow.
Change it back, just dont let em post if they dont register, who gives a **** what they read?

Dan
Old 05-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cord, I agree with your statement.

Alot of you don't even know about the early days of OSO before this new message board. Cord does I know that. Man that was a real fist fight everytime you got on the board. Finally back in 2000, Jeffery decided to initiate this new register message board that requires e-mail addresses so that people could not hide behind their names and bash others under different names continuously.

Eventough I disagree with OSO's new register policy, this is still much better than the old days. That's for sure.

Quick Reply: Registration required?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.