Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OK, West Michigan guys, a bit more help needed... >

OK, West Michigan guys, a bit more help needed...

Notices

OK, West Michigan guys, a bit more help needed...

Old 05-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, West Michigan guys, a bit more help needed...

The Mrs and I are heading to the west side of the state for our annual "Grandma and Grandpa Are Watching The Kid" weekend (last year was Mackinac, and it was a damn good thing there are no cars on the island... ).

So, we're heading over on June 5, 6, 7, 8 (hmmm, SOTW is that weekend - just a coincidence, I'm sure.... ). Now, where should we stay, what should we see, where to go, etc etc. Last time we were in that area was to buy our old boat at Pier 33, and that was in the middle of winter. We are boatless, so I'm not too concerned with ramps and whatnot. Need advice on a nice place to stay, restaurants, all that sort of jazz...

Much obliged....
Old 05-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

How old are the kiddies? Muskegon has a pretty decent ammusement park called ... oh hell, what's it called again?? Took my class of 5th graders there when I used to teach school and even I had a riot!! Michigan's Adventure, yeah that's what it's called. Several roller coasters, many water slides, etc... You could get a hotel room in Holland, Muskegon, or Grand Haven. You might even get some OSO member to take you on a lake run (Crazyhorse has a nice big Cigarette now!!) in Muskegon. Muskegon also has the USS Silversides tied up in the channel. It's a WWII fleet submarine and is quite interesting if you or the kids are into that sort of thing.

If you need any other info feel free to ask myself or Rambunctious.

'Foul
Old 05-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Registered

Super Chevy Show is going on at Martin U S motorsport Park if you want to see show cars and race cars that week end ? Grand Haven will be a happening place cause as you already know the smokie water thing. Craigs cruisers are fun for kids all ages( go karts, game room etc.) Motels in Grand Haven will be packed so look at Holland (just south of g.h.) or Muskegon (north)
Old 05-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

And, the Berlin Raceway has races every Saturday. Berlin is just east of Grand Haven, perhaps 10 miles or so. Three classes of cars, a good time if you like fast and loud. In fact, this coming weekend Johnny Benson and Dick Trickle are racing here on Saturday. Gonna be packed and fun!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Registered

Can you even have any fun in Grand haven anymore???? I heard that they have really cracked down???
Old 05-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I always have fun in Grand Haven. If you don't do anything stupid, they pretty much leave you alone and give you a wave as the pass by on the water. Most people here at OSO don't strike me as the "do stupid things on the water" sort of boaters, so there should be no issues. Bear in mind that if you wander upstream to Spring Lake, it is no wake if you are 26' or longer. Don't push that limit, they will write you up for it.

I usually get a slip at the Municapal Marina on Friday afternoon, do some cruising around, hit Spring Lake or Muskegon, and hit the town at night. Some GREAT restaurants and bars in Grand Haven.

'Foul
Old 05-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doc ' I am still waiting for my HR person to call back with the name of the IT manager needing the position filled. sorry, these HR people have no sense of urgency. i will try to make the point to them that you will be in town.

since no kids....hmmmmm Grand Haven is great. HUGE beach, nice boardwalk with boats tied up, right next to the municipal marina with more boats to see. Charter fisherman coming in and showign off their catches.

many restauruants on main street right there by the water.

Kerby Grill ( bar and two restauruants in one)
Portabellas - great Italian, inside or outside seating
Bill Mar - Restaurant ON lake Michigan - next to the public beach
forgot the name of the other restaurant right on the channel

walk on the pier and get some icecream.

shops on mainstreet to browse.

Holland, a little more quite, but some restaurants i could recommend. and our beach is huge too, and pier. not much else at the beach though, except the state park campground and of course ice cream....

Saugatuck. - up the river from the lake. can take the ferry boat to see the big lake sunset
this is where we go once a month on our fun runs
Coral Gables - restaurants and bars -big deck- on the river front
Mermaid restaurant- on the riverfront
Butler - restaurant - steaks- marina
Wally's - local hole in wall with nice outside patio - good jerk Chicken-their sign says "be patient, our kitchen is smaller than yours"
Marros Pizza - awesome pizza, then they move the tables and turns into a bar late
lots of fudge and icecream shops, kinda like a smaller macinaw island
many art shops. A few limp wristed friends around. we ignore them... it is called the sodom and Gamora by the old folk in our conservative community. (LOL)

Holland has the most chain hotels, many new in the last 2 years, and many chain restaurants. Holiday Inn is nice, with indoor pool. no bar. then there are about three new ones 1 mile north, have to look tomorrow, cant remember what ones they are.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Registered

Rambunctious, thanks for the info. Maybe we can hook up while the Mrs and I are in town, I'll buy ya a beer or three

Sounds like we'll want to stay in Grand Haven, though we're considering one night here, one night there type of thing. Where do the boats from SOTW leave from? I'd like to check out the hardware on Saturday or Sunday...

Any hotel suggestions? Doesn't have to be the Ritz, but since we're away for the weekend (wink wink, nudge nudge) I'd prefer to avoid the local Motel 6...

Again, thanks fellows, nice to be able to get so many responses (though Crazyhorse has been awfully quiet about those free rides in his new Cig )
Old 05-05-2003, 11:07 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Home port for SOTW is Grand Haven. If you want a hotel room ther for that weekend, make the call NOW. It may already be too late. Holland is only a 15-20 minute drive by car from Grand Haven, so a hotel on the north side of Holland would work pretty good.

As for seeing the hardware, Sat. morning before the event starts is a good time to see them. As the time grows closer, you might get some offers for a ride out on the lake to watch the start. It's an awsome event!!!!! Not sure who's gonna be with me yet..... playing it by ear at this point because of my motor not being in the boat. I know KAAMA and Rob are going to try to make it out to watch too. As will MACDAD260 and some others I'm sure.

And I guess I read yoru opening message wrong. Appently you and your missus will be traveling alone for the weekend. Cool!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:55 AM
Registered

Well, we've got reservations in Grand Haven for Friday and Saturday night, at the Days Inn. Couldn't get into the Holiday Inn on the water unless you were with the SOTW group - almost lied and said I was

We're going to stay in Holland on Thursday night, then head to Grand Haven on Friday.

Quick Reply: OK, West Michigan guys, a bit more help needed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.