Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: My first flight today... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49404-ot-my-first-flight-today.html)

SummerObsession 05-06-2003 10:57 PM

OT: My first flight today...

...in ten years!

I quit flying ten years ago as i didn't have the time to properly concentrate on it. I made up my mind that if that ever happened, I would rather ride with someone else.

Today, Jen and I had to take a quick trip to Denver (230 nm from here), so we decided to fly. Our pilot showed up and I told him I was going to get into flying again.
When I quit I had 1000hrs or so (quit logging them all) with Instrument and multi engine ratings. We have a B-55 Baron. A small twin.
Today the pilot ask, so you wanna fly? Ok, what the hell. Keep in mind I have not touched the controls in ten years! (He could have taken over though)
I took off, flew through about 30 minutes of solid IFR conditions, and landed at Centennial Airport in Denver. One of the nation's busiest General aviation airports! Flew home, in IFR, again without the autopilot ever being engaged and landed in a 15 mph direct crosswind!
Yes, we are obviously alive, and the aircraft received nary a scratch! I guess it's like riding a bike......
Sorry for the rant, I was just really proud I didn't kill myself!
Think about not driving a car for ten years, and then jumping in a Ferrari. Same thing but in 3-D.:D :D :eek:

R Addiction 05-06-2003 11:00 PM

Cool! Must have been a Rush!!!!!!!!:cool:

dougB 05-07-2003 07:10 AM

FLYING HIGH

SOUND'S FUN! I HAVE ALWAYS wanted to fly and have with my brother who is a Capn't at CON'T, we used to fly around in small Lear jets around the tulsa area when he was a instructor there ,I always wanted to do this /just didnt go for it /Glad you were flying high on life and made it home safe.Darin Houston Prop:cool:

Iggy 05-07-2003 07:18 AM

Good for you!!

All you need now is an updated medical and some refresher courses, a check ride and you'll be back in the clouds.
:D :D :D

jafo 05-07-2003 07:24 AM

Re: OT: My first flight today...

Originally posted by SummerObsession
...... i didn't have the time to properly concentrate on it. I made up my mind that if that ever happened, I would rather ride with someone else.
I haven't flown (or at least logged the time) since 1987 and am just starting to get back into it (got my medical renewed and am doing some ground school.) I have a comml, inst, and multi-eng. licenses, but my career as a technician took off and the flying didn't. I am glad it went the way it did- I couldn't put up with flying professionally, but recreationally it's a blast. I learned a very long time ago that you are nothing but a hazard to yourself and the others in the air with you if you can't fly regularly.

I have a beautiful Cessna 340 and a brand new Cessna 182 in my hangar at my disposal for fuel cost only- that's a pretty good excuse to get back on the bike............. I think I'll just continue to maintain the FalconJet however ;)

Hope it's as easy for me as it was for you- I look forward to getting back into it!
Jim

LapseofReason 05-07-2003 07:52 AM

I see a boat where you live now and one in South Florida in your future, just a hop down when the weather in Kansas sucks.

SummerObsession 05-07-2003 10:21 AM

Good thinking Lapse, the weather here mostly sucks, so I'm thinking live in Florida and fly back to Ks. when the weather is good!! Like, maybe once a year would be enough!:D :D

jafo: It wasn't easy, I did perspire a bit in certain moments. I have sent my medical in and hopefully soon will be scheduling a trip to Flight Safety. I'm signing up for Baron and C-421 as well. We fly both.:D

jafo 05-07-2003 11:14 AM

SummerO-
You can't go wrong with Flight Safety- in most cases the insurance companies will require it for anything complex. I've had a lot of experience with them and SimuFlite both over the years.
I'm hoping on a lot of help from the pros that I'm surrounded with on a day-to-day basis with getting my recurrency done- they make it look so easy!:) I'm sure there will be a lot of sweating involved.
I go to Canada a lot- the 340 would cut the one-way travel time from a 12 hours to 2. Looking forward to the time savings alone.
Congratulations on your flying - both the B-55 and 421 are great piston-powered aircraft!
Jim

Crazyhorse 05-07-2003 11:26 AM

Hey, I love to hear about it when people either start to fly or when they return to it. Does that Baron have dual controls or the throw-over yoke? I've been hooting on jafo to get current again so he can sit in the dummy seat for me when I do my 6 approaches every 6 months.

jafo 05-07-2003 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Crazyhorse
I've been hooting on jafo to get current again so he can sit in the dummy seat for me when I do my 6 approaches every 6 months.
Dummy seat.....:crazy: so far that's where I'm sitting- I think I've forgotten everything I ever learned about flying. Gettin' some razzin about it too!
Way too much brain warpage from wrenching and inspecting on the jets.
But when it is all said and done, I'll be there! I'm thinkin' there is a float plane project in my future too! I'm sure we can make some FINE landings in that, Dave........:eek: :D