Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need help with 25 - 28 purchase (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49445-need-help-25-28-purchase.html)

hugonb 05-07-2003 03:13 PM

Need help with 25 - 28 purchase

I am in the market for a 25 - 28 Vee hull lake boat. I am looking at a Nordic, Warlock, Eliminator. I want a single engine, good quality boat that can run in the 70 - 75 mph range. I want a good quality boat. The problem is in Texas, you dont see very many of any of these boats. I am leaning toward a 25 or 27 World Class. Any input on Warlocks or opinions on any of the others?

FFO 05-07-2003 04:22 PM

Nordic is a nice boat and a very fast hull . My choice would be Nordic or Warlock. All of those boats will run that speed range. Just look at all see what suit's you.

Steamin Rice 05-07-2003 04:38 PM

From the choices that you listed it sounds like you are looking for a west coast custom boat, is that correct?

The boats that you listed are all great boats. The Warlocks seem to run fast and handle rough water pretty good.

About a year ago I purchased a new 29' Shockwave with a single HP500EFI and have put on about 100 trouble free hours so far. My boat runs about 70 MPH and is pretty big for a 29'. They also make a 25' that is pretty nice and runs about 70 MPH with the 496HO. I can send you pics and give you more info on this, if you are interested let me know. Good luck with your shopping..

hugonb 05-07-2003 04:48 PM

Yep. I am looking for something different (at least for this area). All you see around here are tons of Bajas, a few Formulas and Scarabs. I dont know anything about a Shockwave. I almost bought a Hallett cat, but the wife wants a Vee hull so the kids can get out of the sun if they are with us.

I guess priorities are:

1) Quality
2) Speed
3) Resale

Sydwayz 05-07-2003 04:52 PM

Considered Sonic?
Going new or used?

A new 26' Sonic with 525EFI package will scream, be bulletproof, and your wife will love it.

hugonb 05-07-2003 04:56 PM

Used. I like Sonics. Have even been to their plant. All of the Prowlers I have seen advertised are 502s. I think that would be kind of dog.

buckknekkid 05-07-2003 05:10 PM

theres only one 28

APACHE

Sean 05-07-2003 05:13 PM

there's 27 progression for sale in the classifieds...going CHEAP too!

Cincinnati Race 05-07-2003 05:22 PM

Go with a Midwest Custom 28 Reindl open canopy. If you want PICS, send me an Email
[email protected]

Tom 05-07-2003 06:04 PM

85.1 mph with an HP500

1 Attachment(s)
28 Reindl

You definitely will not run into anyone else with a lookalike boat. Those that have never been in one will make excuses for why not to get one, but everyone who has even ridden in one will tell you it will blow you away.

They eat rough water like nobody can believe.

Sydwayz 05-07-2003 06:25 PM

Ya wanna buy my 1999 Sonic Prowler with an HP500EFI?

Von Bongo 05-07-2003 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm biased but I like Pantera for a true 28 footer, and quality and rought water ride will be second to none.

dreamer 05-07-2003 06:30 PM

1 apache or cigarette

2 pantera

3..... dont bother

Von Bongo 05-07-2003 06:50 PM

That would be right, I have about 3-400 RPM to go so we need some prop work, I think it will be a solid 75 with all the gear and fuel when it is all done. I am only getting 5000rpm and I believe that the limiter is 5400 on the 575.

There are faster boats with the same power, but none that are better built and few if any that ride better. It is a real good sized 28 foot boat.

As with all new purchases, take a ride in them and that will tell you what fits your need best.

hugonb 05-07-2003 07:18 PM

I found a 2001 Warlock 25 World Class. It has 502, dual steering, low hrs. I am going to take it out Saturday. Please post if anyone has any negatives.

DanB 05-07-2003 07:23 PM

Check your pm messages

Dan

hugonb 05-07-2003 07:29 PM

There is no message in my private messages

LapseofReason 05-07-2003 07:29 PM

I know you said you wanted a single, but there is a great deal on a 29 Scarab in the boat's for sale threads. Twin 350's run mid to upper 70's.

Warlock 27 05-07-2003 07:40 PM

warlock 27 and 29 are rock solid ,snotty,big water performers.....not for the flat stuff......great boat..hold on and dont lift !!!!!

Indy 05-07-2003 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Sean
there's 27 progression for sale in the classifieds...going CHEAP too!
Wes's Progression in the classifieds is a real smoker, I've been on it and it rocks.

I have a Nordic that will be on the market at the end of the season...too bad.

Reindl Powerboats 05-07-2003 08:31 PM

Thanks for the PIC Tom, the new ones look like the little one in the Avitar, and I will post one tomorrow...

mpally 05-07-2003 09:00 PM

Out of the ones that you have listed, I would go with the Warlock. They are fast hulls and handle the rough pretty good. I know this will piss some people off, but the Reindl boats are ugly. I know that they are fast, but I would not buy one for everyday use. Just my opinion though.

bobl 05-07-2003 09:44 PM

Hey hugonb, I'm a new Nordic dealer located just outside of Austin, Texas. If you are interested I could make you a pretty good deal. Give me a call. 830-6935591

Madcow 05-07-2003 10:33 PM

Theres a guy here in toledo with a 28 saber with twin 500s that goes mid 80s trying to sell it cheap. Let me know if your interested and I'll pass on a number.

Sydwayz 05-08-2003 01:52 AM

I don't know much about Warlock, but my buddy bsag has one. He loves the speed and handling of the 27 (502 with either a Pro Charger or Vortec; can't remember) he has, but his biggest complaint is how careful you have to be with the cockpit, being that it is all made from plywood.

SteveS 05-08-2003 09:32 AM

The Warlock 29 World Class w/496HO ran 71.?mph (radar) when test by Powerboat Magazine in the Sept. 2002 issue. Out of 7 25'-30' boats tested all equipped with the 496 HO the Warlock posted the fastest top speed, with a very competitive price.

The Warlock 25WC Factory 1 boat is currently run by Team BRE F1-44. They won the Silver Cup Series Championship last year, and took 1st at the Cleveland Offshore Grand Prix.

Warlock has solved many quality issues that were present during the Grandville era.

If anyone would like more information on Warlocks please contact me at:

[email protected]
or
315 697-5849
or
315 439-2196

Thanks
Steve

hugonb 05-08-2003 10:00 AM

SteveS,

What about the Ownership/Quality/Plywood issue? That has got me somewhat concerned. I did not think many manufacturers used this anymore with the modern urethanes available.

Thanks

Tim G. 05-08-2003 10:46 AM

My 28 Pantera is great...
I shopped this to death before I bought this boat. I was actually very close to buying a 26 Prowler, but had to have the Pantera after the test ride!
A friend of mine has a 26 Prowler. These guys are right.. It will run 64 with a 502, but it's a dog coming on plane with 4 people.
The 24 Pantera is very cool, but doesn't really have nuch of a cabin. It would be a great Lake boat.
I was out last weekend with Jo Nunez. He had a '01 24 with sit down buckets, and a 496HO. That was a VERY impressive little boat. It's for sale!
That boat is every bit of a 70 MPH boat. It's no good if the Mrs. has to have a cabin with Potti.
I have a pic of the 24 next to my 28 if you like... Just PM me your email address.

JohnJan 05-08-2003 10:47 AM

Thoroughbred

My 26 T'bred is for sale in Austin and runs 77 all day and has gone 82.4 on GPS. It is rare and unique similar to west coast boats but built on the east coast. It is a custom boat. I am a VERY motivated seller.

The boat is in the for OSO classified as well as the Boats for Sale Forum. Please give it a look, we can go for a ride anytime.

Dave M 05-08-2003 11:34 AM

Well, Mike, make that 15 boats. I have to put a plug in for my brand too. I know hugonb said up to '28 but the '30 Superboat can probably be had for the same price if not less than some of the mentioned boats. As far as the three criteria ...

1. Quality, Superboats may not have the fit and finish or amenities of other boats but they are strong hulls.
2. speed, I think the '30 runs close to 80 with a 500HP.
3. resale, this may depend on the part of the country you are in. People who are in the know realize that Superboats have been racing competitivly for nearly 30 years. I don't think they would be hard to sell.

I was suprised at the comments about Ultimate Warlocks. I thought they were high end boats. Boat shopping is fun! I think I am going to be looking hard at Pantera for my next boat.

Dave M.

SteveS 05-08-2003 12:08 PM

hugonb

Any plywood or bulsa cored areas are covered and/or sealed. They build a very solid boat that will take more punishment and out perform many other boats in it's $ range.

Steve

WALKIN THE DOG 05-08-2003 12:48 PM

Well, you did say lake boat... right??? Warlock is a awesome rough water fast boat (27ft-up). Haven't rode in a 25. 27 & up is a fast hull but needs some bigger water for the step to work good. I had a 25 nordic rage that was a awesome , fast, quality, LAKE BOAT!!! That would be my choice. They are very economically priced also. Call bob1 and take a ride. Mine ran 77mph on gps stock 502 mpi 25 mirage plus. Be very careful not to buy a river boat when you are looking for a lake boat if you want speed.

Good Luck
Don't give up on CATS till your wife rides in both. My wife was the same way, and now, she wouldn't give up the Eliminator for nothing!!

ryoung99 05-08-2003 12:57 PM

HugB,

If you are looking for a West Coast boat you are fine with either the Nordic or the Warlock.

The most imporatant thing for you to do, is be real honest on what the purpose of the boat is.

I have a 28' Nordic, and enjoy the boat. It has a 496ho and runs right at 70 mph. You will not find a better boat for the $$'s, new or used.

If your objective is to hit the lakes with friends are are looking for a stable, comfortable ride, the Nordic might be your boat.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a high performance boat that handles like a sports car, the Warlock is the way to go. Someone a few posts ago commented the 25 was not race worthy???? Check the APBA Offshore Results from Cleveland last year and the Great Lakes Series F1 results, Warlock 25' owned them.

The Warlock is a tougher boat to drive than the Nordic, and is most definatly not on the mild side. I considered trading the Nordic for a Warlock but the wife stopped me as she perferred the comfort of the Nordic.

Where are you going to use the boat? If you are truly going to be offshore, you will want the deeper V of the Warlock. If it is a lake boat, once again the Nordic will be more stable.

Every boat owner is going to tell you why his brand is the best (it is the way boat owners try to feel smart to compensate for buying a boat in the first place), you have to make the decision on what boat will fit your style of boating from a comfort and cost perspective. It is also nice to have a boat from a "local" within a time zone or two manufacturer. Unless you want to be the only guy on your block with a certain toy.

A couple of years ago that was me with the Nordic, now there are quite a few where we boat. Bittersweet feeling.

If your answer is you want both, then do what I did, talk the wife into letting you have a second boat where the sole purpose is racing.

Good luck,
Rick

hugonb 05-08-2003 01:29 PM

Rick,

Thanks for the info. I agree, these two are the ones that are on the top of my list. We have several lakes up here, from being smooth most of the time to Lake Texoma which is very large and that can give a you quite a shake. I want something that will be good for both. I think you answered my questions on the Warlock. From my viewpoint, the Nordic has more "Conforts", the Warlock is more for driving hard in rough water. As I said, I am going to check out a 25' this weekend. The dealer also has a 28 heat so I can get a good feel.

DanB 05-08-2003 04:40 PM

Cant compare the 25 Warlock to a 28 Nordic. Much more room in a Nordic. The space between the seats is non existant in the Warlock.
If you want a fair comparison the 27 is much bigger. The 29 bigger yet but less freeboard and less headroom in the cabin then the 27.
I dont know what you mean by the Nordic being more comfy. I have spent up to a week living in my Warlock (at a marina) and with the camper enclosure up and the TV on it dont get much better. My Warlock will out run and out handle any 28 Nordic Ive run up against, in the rough and on smooth water, and being from Ca theres been a few.
Compare apples to apples and then decide.

Dan

DanB 05-08-2003 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a 27

DanB 05-08-2003 04:51 PM

Hey RYoung
Did you get your Nordic from the boys at A&T (Al and Todd) ?
If so tell em Dan said Hi.

Dan

Gordo 05-13-2003 11:11 PM

All these boats...

And not a single mention of Active Thunder's 25??

Doesn't matter if you are on a rough lake or the ocean, a 25' Active Thunder capable of 80mph with stock HP 500, (no superchargers), and still sleeps two is the only way to go.

Offshore Addiction 05-14-2003 06:27 AM

have got access to a used 29 world class w/502 mpi,hyd steering,planes,and dry stainless exhaust,gps speedo,boat will turn 73 mph on flat water all day long,won a flag in her once myself....will talk to you about her if you would like,but with all the p-class *****in going on I'd rather not say.........

and hey fever mike,add #16 to your list,ACTIVATOR 26..........and # 17,the JOKER 28,that you can order new from us and get exceptional discounts on either with new boat orders!!!!!

Highmark 05-14-2003 07:44 AM

I know I will probably get ridiculed for this but I think the Baja 25 Outlaw or the 275 would be a good choice. I know I know, they are not as much of a "custom" boat as most mentioned here but in my experiance they are a good boat for the money. They are built well and handle rough water great. You would however need 500 EFI to go much over 70 on GPS or radar. To me their biggest downfall is the quantity of them that are out there, however you do have the Level I and II custom options to set it apart. To me dealer location plays a big role in a purchase of a boat. I would not want to travel 3+ hrs to get warranty or service work done.