Notices

OT: Laptop Advice Needed

Old 05-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Auto Sales & Leasing
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Laptop Advice Needed

I know that this topic has been covered from time to time, but since technology changes so quickly, I need current advice.

Need to purchase a laptop and of course I want the fastest, lightest, biggest screen, most portable and dependable laptop out there.

I don't do any burning of CD's, not much on picture editing. I do run a few programs at one time, do a lot with Microsoft Word, Works and also Excel.

I'm not familiar with this wireless stuff, but it sounds good to me. Anything without wires is a big plus. Also, what about CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and all that stuff. Is there a combo that takes care of all of this? I will be transferring data from the laptop to a desktop often.

Your advice on this would be appreciated. Thank You
Old 05-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have a GRX560 by SONY. Has a 16" screen. Its huge!!

Has all the power you'll ever need. Has a 30gig hard drive with 1.7 for speed. It also has a neat little feature for your camera and video cam. It has a port where you slide in the memory stick out of your camera, straight into your computer for fast down loads of pictures and videos. I'm sure you'll get a lot of input on this subject. Everyone will have thier favorite, but this is mine!!

Good luck on your search!!!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Registered

When I first started shopping for a laptop I went to all the electronics stores and looked at a lot of comuters. Just about everything that I looked at had the problem of, tons of features in one area and not enough in the other. They all had their pros and cons. So I called Dell and they will build wat you want for you (you pay for it) but you get a laptop with pretty much everything that you want instead of just a few things.

Hope this helps
Old 05-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Registered

Dell are good especially their new latitude D family (from small bus section of their website), we usually buy IBM Thinkpad T series. light weight good features and durable but expensive. Make sure you get a machine labled Centrino. The processor speeds (Pentium M) are listed as less than the older Pentium 4 mobile but they are better chips. (power management, cache etc.)

Last edited by Donzi38ZX; 05-09-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Auto Sales & Leasing
Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice.
After reading some reviews and checking out Dell's website, I'm kind of leaning toward the Dell Latitude D800. If anyone has one of these, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks again.