Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/49980-ever-use-4-whl-drive-ramp.html)

Luv-N-It 05-14-2003 02:32 PM

Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Getting close to buying a truck. Think I may have to give up the 4 whl drive option and help save some money for a monthly payment. However, I'm getting a diesel:D

I've never had to use 4 whl drive before and I've been on some serious steep inclines too. I'm towing 7,000 lbs now, but who knows how much more in the future... I can't see myself bigger than a 30' with twin inboards. I know the truck can handle 22,000 lbs that is not in question.

I'm asking you how often if ever have you had to use 4 whl drive to get out of the water towing your boat?

Thanks,
Mike

Shorgasm 05-14-2003 02:38 PM

My little bayliner is only about 3500lbs on the trailer but sometimes the ramps are slick and a little 4WD makes it simple...

Plus this little 4.3 Blazer really likes 4Lo in the grass.....kinda tight backing this thing beside my house....not to mention tearing the sand up...Errrrr......I mean grass....:crazy:

Shane 05-14-2003 02:39 PM

I use it each and every time just to put less strain on the truck and rear end. I would say that 4WD is a must.

Good luck.

Shane:)

Outlawcowgirl 05-14-2003 02:41 PM

We use it every time we pull the boat out. If we don't have it in 4 wheel drive the tires spin.

GLH 05-14-2003 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Shane
I use it each and every time just to put less strain on the truck and rear end. I would say that 4WD is a must.

Good luck.

Shane:)

My wife uses it each and every time just to put less strain on the truck and rear end. I would say that 4WD is a must.
Good luck.

GLH
I'm usually in the boat. Thanks Shane didn't have to type everything.:D:D

Sydwayz 05-14-2003 02:43 PM

Yeah, get the 4WD. It is sooo worth the payment that one time when you say, "damn, I wish I had 4WD" to get out of a jam. I had an S-10 Blazer, that I pulled PWC with. I used the 4WD occaisionally on sand and gravel when launching the PWCs. However, the 4WD shift mechanism, (vacuum line) went out on me once in a snowstorm, and I might as well parked that truck and taken my skateboard.

Luv-N-It 05-14-2003 02:58 PM

Geez, maybe I should wait until next year:rolleyes: I am surprised some of you use the 4 whl drive option as much as you do.

I have never spent the tires on my Yukon in 2 whl drive pulling my 272 Baja out of the water:confused: Nice and easy is the way I do it. Just push the gas enough to get it rolling and keep it that way. I do have 4 whl drive too with this Yukon.

rouxsterre 05-14-2003 03:00 PM

If you do have a 4x4, make the decision whether to use it or not while still on level ground. Engaging the 4x4 can be difficult on the ramp under a load.

dyno 05-14-2003 03:04 PM

Use it alot, dont scimp its worth it!

JUSTONCE 05-14-2003 03:13 PM

I've found it really helpfull because I put in at a ramp in the harbor where the water level goes up and down a couple of feet depending on the wind so sometimes your tires are in the nasty green stuff.Everyone who's ever biffed in that stuff and bashed your legs on the trailer knows its gotta be the most slippery thing on earth, so 4wd is a must for me.