Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Kent Island, MD - Place to launch and park truck/trailer???? >

Kent Island, MD - Place to launch and park truck/trailer????

Notices

Kent Island, MD - Place to launch and park truck/trailer????

Old 05-15-2003, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kent Island, MD - Place to launch and park truck/trailer????

I'm looking at going to Kent Island are on the Chesapeake. Where is a good place to launch my boat and park truck and trailer for 2-3 days?? Would like a marina that also has transient docks available, but not necessary.. Primary objective is to have a place for the truck and trailer... Thanks!!!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The is a nice launch ramp across from Red Eyes bar. If keep your boat there they will let you keep your truck and trailer there. Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

You can put in at Sandy Point. It is on the west side of the bay at the bay bridge. It's a short ride across the bay to kent island. I'm not sure if what their overnight parking rules are though.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:09 AM
Registered

I know there is a public ramp across from Red Eyes, I'm assuming your referring to the marina just to the North... Do you know the name of the marina??? I'd like to give them a call. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

There is a public ramp under the Kent Narrows bridge. The ramp is steep with tall walls, but you can launch anything there; although it is hard to tie up. You HAVE to have a county sticker to park there, which I am told you can buy at local sports shops. It is 1 year sticker if I remember correctly. You do have to lock up your stuff, as it is totally public.

Sandy Point State Park; which is under the Bay Bridge, on the west side, across the bay from Kent Island is a VERY nice facility. They must have about 20-26 ramps, with nice docks. Not sure about transient slips. HUGE parking lot, and I have had no problems there.

Other more local guys should chime in shortly.
Also check the forum on www.cbpba.com
Old 05-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Registered

Me personally, I dont think I would use the ramp across from Red Eyes anymore, myself and BobbyB launched my 26Sonic there and we had to back the boat in so far the water line was between the front and rear axle of the truck and the boat still wasn't floating.

If you drive down Route 8 south about 5-10 minutes south of Rt50(still on kent island) you will see a free ramp on the right which launches into the bay but has a good size break wall so it is calm. Myself, VelocityMike and a lot of people from the Velocity poker run used that ramp and liked it.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Mark;
HA! I used the ramp in Lapse of Reason's subdivision in Stafford, VA, the other day. We laughed when I said my Garage Floor has more slope to it going down to the center drain! I damn near thought I would have floating rear floormats if I had to go any farther. I walked on my nerf bars from the cab to the bed, and they were in the water.

Oh well though, it was still pretty clean, and nice dock, just really shallow, and I do appreciate Greg letting me use it, and the help.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey East Coast B,

Sandy Point is a really nice place but on the weekends can be a little pricey due to being a state park. I am not sure what the deal on over night truck and trailer parking is.

The Ramp that Mark talked about off of Rt 8 is on of the best that I have found in that area. Its very protected but the parking is so so. This ramp is also free.

There are two ramps inside of Kent Narrows one across from Red Eyes and the other is under the older bridge. The one under the old bridge is the one that is not real steep and is the one Mark is talking about. The one across from Red Eyes is not that bad but there can be a really strong current so I have seen some people have fun with it.

You can always consult your local chart book for all the locations. Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Registered

As other's mentioned, Sandy Point is a very nice facility. Great ramps and very protected water. Not sure what the price is this year but last summer it was $4 per person to get in the park. Since it is a State Park they have park police that patrol the area. You can leave your truck and trailer there overnight. You just have to register it with the office (free) and they give you a tag to hang from your mirror so the police know that you are an overnighter and to not call the Coast Guard as well as keep an eye on your vehicle. I've done a couple of overnighters and always use Sandy Point without any problems.

They do have docks there but I am not sure if you can tie up overnight at the docks or not. You would have to check with the office.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:52 AM
chesbotr

Mears Point Marina, where Red Eye's, Annie's and Harrisons's are. NICE, NICE, NICE!! They have a pool, tons of places to eat within walking distance, easy to access from route 50, they have plenty of docking and I am sure you could put your truck and trailer there. Give them a call, their actual address is Grasonville, just fyi for calling 411 to get their phone#. Make sure you have Sunday morning Brunch at Annie's while you are there!!

Quick Reply: Kent Island, MD - Place to launch and park truck/trailer????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.