I went to Traverse City... >

I went to Traverse City...

Notices

I went to Traverse City...

Old 05-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default I went to Traverse City...

I did a RECON OPS in Traverse City and Grand Traverse Bay (by land) this weekend and found that the water level is about a good foot or so low.

I also went to Northport and found that you MIGHT be able to launch a 24 footer. Sutton's Bay you could launch a 24-26 footer without much of a problem----MAYBE a 28 footer and a 30 footer would be a stretch. I don't think I would attempt to launch my 32 footer from there. The only other launch I looked at while up there was the one at Elk Rapids and that would adaquately launch a 42 footer. The water is crystal clear up there---everywhere I went! Being able to see the bottom is NO PROBLEM at all----it is soooo cool! You can see propeller blades spinning in that kind of water with ease and of course you can see where the end of the cement launch ramp ends under the water and if there is any "wash out" from power loading---the ramps are in excellent condition. There is a sign posted at the launch that says "NO POWER LOADING".

Anyway, when I take my boat up to the Grand Traverse Bay area this summer, I will be launching my boat from the Elk Rapids launch---what a beautiful spot! I cannot believe how clear the water is up north!
Old 05-18-2003, 07:43 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Love boating up there. Will be in that area over the 4th of July most likely. My parents have a place up there.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Registered

Damn- the last time I went to Traverse City was to go to Lumberman's Monument around 1974-75 or so.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at some property up that way last year (Northport). It has got to be one of the prettiest parts of the state.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Eternal Warrior

You definitely get spoiled when you boat up North!!! I hate boating in water that isn't clear. Probably why I take the 4 hour trip North almost every weekend in the summer.

Old 05-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Registered

Recon Ops? Is Bin Laden hiding out up there?
Old 05-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Registered

make sure that you hit pearls while you are in elk rapids. good food
Old 05-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark-- Elk Rapids is where I put in at when I go up there. Great Ramp
Old 05-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I usually put in at a ramp just up the the road (towards Northport) from T.C. Don't remember what the marina is called. Good deep ramp the last time I was there. Well run on busy weekends too.....they actually direct traffic at the ramp so you don't have the bad etiquet problems like some other ramps.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:30 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Pearls.....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Northport is the perfect small waterfront town. Is the marina and ramp at Clinch Park in TC done yet?
Elk Rapids is great spot to launch and hit either bay. My family is from TC and I spent my summers hunting Petosky stones in east bay as a kid. Great Grandfather was the first Conservation Officer in Michigan and quite the legend around TC. Good times!

Quick Reply: I went to Traverse City...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.